Vets end season with victory
TOWN Vets finished off what has been a fine season by beating Sandy Vets at Moggerhanger. Town dominated the game in the early stages as they outclassed their opponents with some good football on the deck and they should have gone ahead after five minute
TOWN Vets finished off what has been a fine season by beating Sandy Vets at Moggerhanger.
Town dominated the game in the early stages as they outclassed their opponents with some good football on the deck and they should have gone ahead after five minutes when Paul Lewis lobbed the advancing 'keeper, only for the ball to float agonisingly wide of the upright.
Further openings were created but Town found the Sandy defence in stubborn form as they struggled to get a decent effort on target and test the 'keeper.
Town deservedly took the lead on 25 minutes, though, when Kevin Barthrop raided down the left wing and Peter Leete converted the resulting cross from close range to give the 'keeper no chance.
However, Sandy equalised almost immediately when a rare attack caught Town's defence square and the Sandy centre-forward ran clean through to beat Simon Dobson.
Town continued to threaten despite the setback and restored their lead when an attempted clearance fell kindly for Leete who promptly thumped the ball into the roof of the net for a goal which proved to be the winner.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 3 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 4 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 5 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 6 Royston Bloomsday marks 100th anniversary of James Joyce's novel
- 7 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 8 Little Seedlings workshops to teach budding gardeners this summer
- 9 Vehicles, greenhouse and fence 'smashed' in Royston
- 10 Property: How could the new laws for renters affect you?
In the second half, the central midfield pairing of Carlo Silenti and Matt McQueen were in outstanding form to maintain Town's grip on the game and although the best of further chances fell to Town the points were assured.
Royston Town Vets: S.Dobson, A. Smith, K Flack, N.King, G.Pinner, M.McQueen, C.Silenti, N.Humphries, J.Moulding, P.Leete, P.Lewis, K.Barthrop, B.Cannon, I.Allen.