Vets edge past Puckeridge
Standon & Puckeridge 0 Royston Town Vets 1
ROYSTON TOWN VETS Town failed to rediscover their goal-scoring feats of the previous week but were good enough to edge a close game against a strong Standon & Puckeridge side.
In a tight first half, defences were on top and neither team created many openings. One flash of brilliance saw Town take the lead when debutant Simon Karrie provided a slide-rule pass through the middle to find strike partner Paul Lewis who coolly slotted past the advancing home ‘keeper.
In a rare raid by the hosts into Town’s penalty area Simon Dobson was forced to push a shot round his near post for a corner.
The majority of play in a scrappy second half was confined to the middle third of the pitch but Town still looked the more threatening team.
A cool head on more than one occasion would have seen Town extend their lead but wayward shooting and good goalkeeping prevented Town from adding to the score.
With 10 minutes to go, Geoff Pinner came to Town’s rescue when he managed to clear an effort from the goal-line to preserve Town’s slender advantage.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 3 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 4 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 5 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 6 Royston Bloomsday marks 100th anniversary of James Joyce's novel
- 7 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 8 Little Seedlings workshops to teach budding gardeners this summer
- 9 Vehicles, greenhouse and fence 'smashed' in Royston
- 10 Ben & Jerry's ice cream sold at Sainsbury's recalled due to health concerns
Town entertain Burwell Vets in the Cambs Invitation Cup at Garden Walk this Sunday.
Royston Town Vets: Dobson, Smith, King (Flack 50), Saggers, Pinner, Silenti, McQueen (Hagger 45), Moulding, Barthrop (Daniels 60), Lewis, Karrie.