Vets edge past Puckeridge
Standon & Puckeridge 0 Royston Town Vets 1
ROYSTON TOWN VETS Town failed to rediscover their goal-scoring feats of the previous week but were good enough to edge a close game against a strong Standon & Puckeridge side.
In a tight first half, defences were on top and neither team created many openings. One flash of brilliance saw Town take the lead when debutant Simon Karrie provided a slide-rule pass through the middle to find strike partner Paul Lewis who coolly slotted past the advancing home ‘keeper.
In a rare raid by the hosts into Town’s penalty area Simon Dobson was forced to push a shot round his near post for a corner.
The majority of play in a scrappy second half was confined to the middle third of the pitch but Town still looked the more threatening team.
You may also want to watch:
A cool head on more than one occasion would have seen Town extend their lead but wayward shooting and good goalkeeping prevented Town from adding to the score.
With 10 minutes to go, Geoff Pinner came to Town’s rescue when he managed to clear an effort from the goal-line to preserve Town’s slender advantage.
- 1 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 2 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 3 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 4 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 5 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 6 Eight picture-perfect picnic spots across East Anglia
- 7 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 8 Comedy festival IS going ahead - with Covid-safe measures in place
- 9 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 10 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
Town entertain Burwell Vets in the Cambs Invitation Cup at Garden Walk this Sunday.
Royston Town Vets: Dobson, Smith, King (Flack 50), Saggers, Pinner, Silenti, McQueen (Hagger 45), Moulding, Barthrop (Daniels 60), Lewis, Karrie.