Vets edge past Puckeridge
Standon & Puckeridge 0 Royston Town Vets 1
ROYSTON TOWN VETS Town failed to rediscover their goal-scoring feats of the previous week but were good enough to edge a close game against a strong Standon & Puckeridge side.
In a tight first half, defences were on top and neither team created many openings. One flash of brilliance saw Town take the lead when debutant Simon Karrie provided a slide-rule pass through the middle to find strike partner Paul Lewis who coolly slotted past the advancing home ‘keeper.
In a rare raid by the hosts into Town’s penalty area Simon Dobson was forced to push a shot round his near post for a corner.
The majority of play in a scrappy second half was confined to the middle third of the pitch but Town still looked the more threatening team.
You may also want to watch:
A cool head on more than one occasion would have seen Town extend their lead but wayward shooting and good goalkeeping prevented Town from adding to the score.
With 10 minutes to go, Geoff Pinner came to Town’s rescue when he managed to clear an effort from the goal-line to preserve Town’s slender advantage.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 5 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 6 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 7 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 8 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 9 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 10 22-year-old sentenced for criminal damage in Melbourn
Town entertain Burwell Vets in the Cambs Invitation Cup at Garden Walk this Sunday.
Royston Town Vets: Dobson, Smith, King (Flack 50), Saggers, Pinner, Silenti, McQueen (Hagger 45), Moulding, Barthrop (Daniels 60), Lewis, Karrie.