Vets earn draw in tough encounter at Standon
Standon & Puckeridge Vets 2 Royston Town Vets 2 TOWN Vets returned to action with a hard fought draw at Standon & Puckeridge. Russell Perret made his debut for the Vets and with Colin McArthur unavailable Simon Dobson donned the goalkeeper s jersey. Town
Standon & Puckeridge Vets 2 Royston Town Vets 2
TOWN Vets returned to action with a hard fought draw at Standon & Puckeridge.
Russell Perret made his debut for the Vets and with Colin McArthur unavailable Simon Dobson donned the goalkeeper's jersey.
Town had an early chance when Peter Leete put Paul Lewis through but his effort was saved by the 'keeper.
You may also want to watch:
Town then attacked down the right through Adam Smith and when the ball was played to Kevin Barthrop he produced an excellent right-footed shot to give Town a deserved lead.
The hosts equalised after 10 minutes of the second half when they took advantage of a square Town defence to fire in a shot that bounced over the diving Dobson.
- 1 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 2 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 3 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 4 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 5 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 6 Cooling caps appeal to reduce chemo patients' hair loss
- 7 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 8 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 9 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 10 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
Town continued to create more chances and 20 minutes into the half Dave Daniels made a surging run and was upended in the box and Lewis converted the resultant spot kick.
More chances came Town's way but a combination of excellent goalkeeping and poor finishing left Town with a slender lead going into the dying period of the game.
They paid for their profligacy when the hosts were awarded a penalty following a mistimed tackle by Smith and the goal turned out to be the last kick of the game.
Town are at home to Birchanger next Sunday.
Royston Town Vets: Dobson, King, Smith, Flack, Pinner, Daniels, Cover, McQueen, Barthrop, Leete, Lewis, Perret, Cannon, Allen.