Vets earn cup final appearance
Royston breeze past Ridgeons with 8-1 triumph
Cambs Vets Invitation Cup
Royston Town Vets 8
You may also want to watch:
Ridgeons Vets 1
TOWN Vets progressed to the final of the Cambs Invitation Cup with a convincing victory over a sporting Ridgeons side on Sunday at Garden Walk.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 4 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 5 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 6 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 7 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 8 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 9 Help on offer for residents as Universal Credit cut looms
- 10 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
Town dominated the first 20 minutes and deservedly took the lead with a John Moulding header. They extended the lead when Kevin Barthrop slotted home from a Nick Humphreys cross following a flowing move down the left.
Humphreys then got on the scoresheet himself with a neat header over the advancing ‘keeper and Peter Leete, after a quiet start to the game, tapped in to make it 4-0. Nejat Kocak then went close with a left foot shot that hit the side-netting.
Early in the second half Moulding extended Town’s lead and goal number six was scored by Paul Wenlock who converted a defence-splitting cross from Geoff Pinner.
The visitors scored a fine headed goal from a free-kick but this was no more than a consolation effort as Town bounced back with two goals from midfielder Rob Wilson – his first was a fierce shot that gave the ‘keeper no chance and his second goal was from close range.
The second semi-final is being played next week (Cambridge University Press v Mount Pleasant) with the final now likely to be played in August.
Royston Town Vets: Dobson, Coughlin, Smith, King (Flack 45), Pinner (Allen 60), Henry (Wilson 45), Barthrop (Kocak 45), Silenti, Moulding, Humphreys (Wenlock 45), Leete.