Vets earn cup final appearance
Royston breeze past Ridgeons with 8-1 triumph
Cambs Vets Invitation Cup
Royston Town Vets 8
Ridgeons Vets 1
TOWN Vets progressed to the final of the Cambs Invitation Cup with a convincing victory over a sporting Ridgeons side on Sunday at Garden Walk.
- 1 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 2 Hertfordshire under Met Office yellow warning for storms
- 3 Vintage tractor run to raise money for churches
- 4 Grandad celebrates 18th sailing championship win
- 5 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 6 One of a kind Second World War aircraft to fly in historic flypast at IWM Duxford’s Battle of Britain Air Show 2022
- 7 'Hitchin is the only place I've felt accepted'
- 8 Firefighters tackle large blaze in field in Guilden Morden
- 9 9 things to do on a day trip to Hitchin, Hertfordshire
- 10 Residents concerned 140 homes plan could cause 'ecological catastrophe'
Town dominated the first 20 minutes and deservedly took the lead with a John Moulding header. They extended the lead when Kevin Barthrop slotted home from a Nick Humphreys cross following a flowing move down the left.
Humphreys then got on the scoresheet himself with a neat header over the advancing ‘keeper and Peter Leete, after a quiet start to the game, tapped in to make it 4-0. Nejat Kocak then went close with a left foot shot that hit the side-netting.
Early in the second half Moulding extended Town’s lead and goal number six was scored by Paul Wenlock who converted a defence-splitting cross from Geoff Pinner.
The visitors scored a fine headed goal from a free-kick but this was no more than a consolation effort as Town bounced back with two goals from midfielder Rob Wilson – his first was a fierce shot that gave the ‘keeper no chance and his second goal was from close range.
The second semi-final is being played next week (Cambridge University Press v Mount Pleasant) with the final now likely to be played in August.
Royston Town Vets: Dobson, Coughlin, Smith, King (Flack 45), Pinner (Allen 60), Henry (Wilson 45), Barthrop (Kocak 45), Silenti, Moulding, Humphreys (Wenlock 45), Leete.