Vets downed by last-gasp defeat
ROYSTON Town Vets were downed by a last-minute goal as they suffered a 4-3 defeat at Therfield Fox & Duck.
After a goalless first half nobody would have predicted the seven goals that were to be scored in a crazy second half.
Paul Lewis opened the scoring for Town but Fox & Duck came back to equalise soon after with a volley that beat Nick King (deputising in goal for Simon Dobson) at the near post. Fox & Duck then went ahead with a glancing header from a right wing corner but Adam Smith volleyed in the equaliser for Town.
King made a brilliant save to tip a rasping shot onto the post and away to safety but when centre-back Stuart Moulding was off the pitch for boot repairs Fox & Duck took advantage to go 3-2 ahead when King this time could not hold a shot and a home forward was first to the ball to slot home.
Ian Allen put Mark Saggers clear down the left and his cross was met by John Moulding to equalise again. Fox & Duck then clinched the game with a speculative effort that sailed over the ‘keeper’s head into the net.
You may also want to watch:
Next Sunday, Town are scheduled to travel to Saffron Walden in the Cambs Vets Invitation Cup.
Royston Town Vets: King, Smith (Flack 60), Brown, S Moulding, Pinner, Humphries (Allen 70), Saggers, McQueen, Barthrop, J.Moulding (Hagger 60), Lewis.
- 1 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 5 Say this secret phrase and get a free pint for the first game of the Euros
- 6 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 7 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 8 Sign up to village duathlon and raise funds for Home-Start
- 9 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 10 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?