Vets downed by last-gasp defeat
ROYSTON Town Vets were downed by a last-minute goal as they suffered a 4-3 defeat at Therfield Fox & Duck.
After a goalless first half nobody would have predicted the seven goals that were to be scored in a crazy second half.
Paul Lewis opened the scoring for Town but Fox & Duck came back to equalise soon after with a volley that beat Nick King (deputising in goal for Simon Dobson) at the near post. Fox & Duck then went ahead with a glancing header from a right wing corner but Adam Smith volleyed in the equaliser for Town.
King made a brilliant save to tip a rasping shot onto the post and away to safety but when centre-back Stuart Moulding was off the pitch for boot repairs Fox & Duck took advantage to go 3-2 ahead when King this time could not hold a shot and a home forward was first to the ball to slot home.
Ian Allen put Mark Saggers clear down the left and his cross was met by John Moulding to equalise again. Fox & Duck then clinched the game with a speculative effort that sailed over the ‘keeper’s head into the net.
You may also want to watch:
Next Sunday, Town are scheduled to travel to Saffron Walden in the Cambs Vets Invitation Cup.
Royston Town Vets: King, Smith (Flack 60), Brown, S Moulding, Pinner, Humphries (Allen 70), Saggers, McQueen, Barthrop, J.Moulding (Hagger 60), Lewis.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 4 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 5 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 6 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 7 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 8 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony
- 9 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 10 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe