Vets downed by last-gasp defeat
ROYSTON Town Vets were downed by a last-minute goal as they suffered a 4-3 defeat at Therfield Fox & Duck.
After a goalless first half nobody would have predicted the seven goals that were to be scored in a crazy second half.
Paul Lewis opened the scoring for Town but Fox & Duck came back to equalise soon after with a volley that beat Nick King (deputising in goal for Simon Dobson) at the near post. Fox & Duck then went ahead with a glancing header from a right wing corner but Adam Smith volleyed in the equaliser for Town.
King made a brilliant save to tip a rasping shot onto the post and away to safety but when centre-back Stuart Moulding was off the pitch for boot repairs Fox & Duck took advantage to go 3-2 ahead when King this time could not hold a shot and a home forward was first to the ball to slot home.
Ian Allen put Mark Saggers clear down the left and his cross was met by John Moulding to equalise again. Fox & Duck then clinched the game with a speculative effort that sailed over the ‘keeper’s head into the net.
Next Sunday, Town are scheduled to travel to Saffron Walden in the Cambs Vets Invitation Cup.
Royston Town Vets: King, Smith (Flack 60), Brown, S Moulding, Pinner, Humphries (Allen 70), Saggers, McQueen, Barthrop, J.Moulding (Hagger 60), Lewis.
- 1 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 2 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 3 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 4 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 5 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 6 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 7 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 8 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 9 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 10 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre