Vets continue fine form
Royston Town Vets 5 Linton Aztecs Vets 1
TOWN Vets continued their impressive form this season with a convincing 5-1 victory over Linton Aztecs Vets in the Cambs Vets Invitation Cup.
After a closely-fought opening 15 minutes it was the visitors who took the lead when ‘keeper Simon Dobson’s failed attempt at a long ball through the middle let a Linton forward in to score.
Within minutes, though, Town were level when Kevin Barthrop headed in a Nick Humphries cross and Barthrop put Town 2-1 soon after.
An even first 20 minutes of the second half saw both sides creating chances and Town had Dobson to thank for a fine save from a decent long-range effort.
You may also want to watch:
Town’s narrow advantage was threatened a few more times before their nerves were calmed with a third goal after 70 minutes. Paul Lewis cut in from the left and fired in a right foot shot that the visitors’ ‘keeper failed to keep out. Town then added a fourth when Steve Holden collected the ball on the halfway line and beat the chasing defenders and ‘keeper with a cool finish. Town were now in total command of the game and deservedly went further ahead when Nick Humphries drilled a left foot shot into the net.
The Moulding brothers – Stuart at the heart of defence and John in midfield – had outstanding games for Town.
- 1 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 2 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 3 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 4 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 5 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 6 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 7 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 8 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 9 Socially-distanced festival is a welcome return to pre-pandemic good times
- 10 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
Royston Town Vets: Dobson, Smith (Cannon 70), King (Brown 45), S Moulding, Pinner (Flack 45), Humphries, Hagger (Holden 45), J Moulding, Barthrop (Allen 75), Lewis, Leete.