Vets continue fine form
Royston Town Vets 5 Linton Aztecs Vets 1
TOWN Vets continued their impressive form this season with a convincing 5-1 victory over Linton Aztecs Vets in the Cambs Vets Invitation Cup.
After a closely-fought opening 15 minutes it was the visitors who took the lead when ‘keeper Simon Dobson’s failed attempt at a long ball through the middle let a Linton forward in to score.
Within minutes, though, Town were level when Kevin Barthrop headed in a Nick Humphries cross and Barthrop put Town 2-1 soon after.
An even first 20 minutes of the second half saw both sides creating chances and Town had Dobson to thank for a fine save from a decent long-range effort.
Town’s narrow advantage was threatened a few more times before their nerves were calmed with a third goal after 70 minutes. Paul Lewis cut in from the left and fired in a right foot shot that the visitors’ ‘keeper failed to keep out. Town then added a fourth when Steve Holden collected the ball on the halfway line and beat the chasing defenders and ‘keeper with a cool finish. Town were now in total command of the game and deservedly went further ahead when Nick Humphries drilled a left foot shot into the net.
The Moulding brothers – Stuart at the heart of defence and John in midfield – had outstanding games for Town.
- 1 E-fit image of indecent exposure suspect released by police
- 2 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 3 Disruption to train lines between Royston and Cambridge
- 4 Metal detectorist, 13, explains how she discovered Bronze Age hoards near Royston
- 5 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 6 Meet the cast of Cambridge Arts Theatre's family pantomime Aladdin
- 7 Two year ban on begging for these six
- 8 Royston crews' tribute after 'incredible' fire dog's death
- 9 Bronze Age hoards containing around 200 items found near Royston
- 10 Royston museum under new management
Royston Town Vets: Dobson, Smith (Cannon 70), King (Brown 45), S Moulding, Pinner (Flack 45), Humphries, Hagger (Holden 45), J Moulding, Barthrop (Allen 75), Lewis, Leete.