Vase joy but league woes for Royston

Cambridge South 1 Royston 2 GOALS from Nick Freeman and Ross sent Royston into the second round of the England Hockey Association Vase Both teams started well and could have taken the lead. But it was a tactical change from Royston that proved to

Cambridge South 1 Royston 2

GOALS from Nick Freeman and Ross sent Royston into the second round of the England Hockey Association Vase

Both teams started well and could have taken the lead. But it was a tactical change from Royston that proved to be a key moment, as they began to take control all over the pitch.

The away side however still struggled to create any good chances in the first half as it ended goalless at half time.

You may also want to watch:

Royston began the second half in the same vain, keeping the ball in the Cambridge half of the pitch, and looking dangerous on the right.

The visitors took the lead when Owen Russell passed across goal for Freeman to finish into an empty net.

Most Read

Royston's second came soon after, scored by Ross who drove forward and finished well.

Dan Smith and Freeman should have extended the lead but failed to make contact with the ball.

Unfortunately a Royston performance is never without a lapse in concentration, as they let Cambridge score at the death with their only shot of the second half.

Royston will now go into the hat for the next round, which is scheduled for February.

Royston 1 Blueharts III 2

ROYSTON'S poor run of results continued in another game in which they know they should have done better.

Though it was a relatively even game the home side had the most of their possession, but failed to create any real chances to score.

Owen Russell put the home side ahead in the second half, and they would have increased the lead if they had managed to convert short corners.

The Royston defence were comfortable throughout the match until the last five minutes, when Blueharts scored two goals.

Blueharts IV 6 Royston II 2

ROYSTON once again started slowly and despite winning a number of short corners found themselves two goals down.

They managed to reduce the deficit when Richard Huby converted a short corner.

With continued poor distribution, they were unable to prevent Blueharts restoring the two-goal advantage before half time.

Royston continued to suffer lapses of concentration whilst moving forward which enabled Blueharts to keep pressure on the Royston defence.

The hosts increased their lead early in the second half and despite a brief rally that saw a well-constructed move result in a Chris Berry goal, the home side ran out easy winners.

Winchmore Hill & Enfield IV 3 Royston IV 2

ROYSTON lost by a single goal for the fourth successive game.

Despite going a goal down, the visitors dominated much of the first half and should really have put the game beyond the reach of Winchmore, a single goal advantage was never going to be sufficient.

Malcolm Langford-Clark scored both goals, the first coming from a cross from the right after good play by Carl Taylor, Perry Noble and Keith Markham, the second came from the penalty spot after the home goal keeper illegally saved from a short corner.

Royston were also unlucky not to get a second penalty when a short corner hit a foot on the line.

With Joshua Jamieson and Arnie Whittiker combining well on the left and Stephen Priest supporting well on the right, the Winchmore goalkeeper was also forced to make several good saves as Royston continuously pressurised their opponents.

Royston started the second half very well and again should have made the most of the opportunities.

Winchmore were rewarded for their perseverance with a good spell midway through the second half during which they scored twice.

The first came from a short corner follow up and the second from a well worked move down their right wing.

Royston V 3 Winchmore Hill & Enfield V

A BRACE of Steve Gourd goals saw Royston continue their excellent form on Saturday with a win over the league leaders.

Royston's better hockey came in the first half with the ball being moved up the field from the back giving the forwards plenty of the action.

The home side opened the scoring with a well-struck hit from Gourd and soon to follow was a well-taken goal by Mark Polge to finish the first half on a high.

The second half had the home side fighting back hard starting to have more control of the mid-field and eventually putting a goal past the Royston keeper.

Royston never lost their concentration though and were able to find a third goal from Gourd to give Royston the well earned three points.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus