United feel the four-ce

Royston Town Reserves 4 Winslow United 0 ANOTHER very professional and hard working display saw Town take a deserved three points at home on Saturday. The opening 20 minutes saw a slightly rusty home side thank in-form keeper Sam Booth, when a litt

Royston Town Reserves 4 Winslow United 0

ANOTHER very professional and hard working display saw Town take a deserved three points at home on Saturday.

The opening 20 minutes saw a slightly rusty home side thank in-form keeper Sam Booth, when a little indecision let in the Winslow striker on a couple of occasions, but once this period had been weathered a confident Town side dominated in all departments.

Applying some good pressure from fine approach play the hosts took the lead through Peter Chappel, crashing home from close range after the Winslow keeper had blocked his first effort. Despite not adding to this lead in the first half, Town maintained a disciplined approach and never looked troubled.

The home side's midfield was marshalled well by Mark Saunders and with an impressive Ben Bowles in the centre really dictated the play, and broke down any attack that Winslow attempted to launch.

The second half saw a slightly more direct Royston, and with the wind at their backs a run of heavy pressure had the visitors pinned back in the last third.

Most Read

The sustained pressure finally brought a reward when Saunders powered home a header from another quality corner supplied by Chris Geldart.

This goal really took the fight out of the opposition, and with the Royston defenders pushing on to join the attack it was really a case of how many goals they might get.

Town skipper Danny Miles was tackling strongly and striding forward at every opportunity, causing problems on more than one occasion.

The third came from another fine move involving a number of players that saw the final ball skilfully released by Lee Bates into the path of Bradley Jackson to coolly beat the advancing keeper.

With the final whistle about to be blown there was still time for Craig Parry to take charge of another attack to out run the defence and score in style to complete a very good team showing.

Royston squad: S Booth, D Bird, R Jones, C Parry, A Stokes, , D Miles, A Stodart, P Chappel, R Lowden, C Birkes, B Bowles, M Saunders, C Geldart, L Bates, B Jackson.

- Royston reserves travel to Cockfosters on Saturday.

Royston Town A 2 Braughing 3 (after extra time)

THE Crows lost their proud unbeaten record to close neighbours Braughing in this League Cup quarter-final tie.

The home side looked to have resumed normal service after a five week lay off when Kier Butler opened the scoring bundling home a Pete Hodgson cross but a vastly improved Braughing side quickly levelled the scores through the impressive Tibbles who reacted that bit quicker to a loose ball than a static Royston defence to slot home.

From this point on the game was destined for extra time as both sides cancelled each other out, the one bright spark of the day was the welcome return of first team midfielder Jason Nash dictating the midfield after a long injury lay off.

Braughing took the lead in extra time again through Tibbles who again capitalised on a defensive mistake and the same player put the visitors 3-1 ahead when his speculative shot beat stand-in keeper Jackson.

The last half of extra time seemed to some up Royston's day as they laid siege to the opposition's goal and this looked to have paid dividends when Brett Purkiss reduced the arrears to make it 2-3.

With Nash spurring his side on the Crows pushed every available man into attack and looked to have salvaged the game when a fine header from Jordan Wilson which would have levelled the game was disallowed following and contentious and dubious decision from the linesman.

Royston Town Vets 2 Knebworth Vets 0

THE Town oldies returned after a five-week break for festivities, with a comfortable win over visitors Knebworth at Garden Walk on Sunday.

With Nick Humphries, Paul Lewis and Nick King unavailable, Carlo Silenti made a long- awaited return, lining up in midfield with Ian Stubbs, back from a month in South Africa, and Kevin Barhrop.

A Richard Harris volley from 20 yards to put Town ahead, following good work by Barthrop, was the highlight of an uneventful first half. Colin McArthur was unlucky in hitting a post. Otherwise there was not much to write home about.

McArthur was again unlucky in the second half powering a header onto the visitors cross bar, as Town dominated matters, with Barthrop always busy in midfield, Silenti lively, Cannon and Flack in control, Harris unselfish, Town were well in control.

Daryl Quinn sealed the win, 15 minutes from time following a scramble in the Knebworth goal area, composing himself to coolly slide the ball in from five yards.

A good start to the New Year for the Vets who travel to face Ashwell Vets this Sunday.

Royston Town Vets: M Chaffey, I King, I Allen, B Cannon, K Flack, I Stubbs, D Quinn, R Harris, C McArthur, K Barthrop, C Silenti, M Jackson M Crowley