Under-11s start season off in style
Cheshunt 10 Royston 25 Under-11s rugby DESPITE the early season loss of head coach Jon Simons due to his commitments to the Dancing Bears dance troop, Royston started the season on fire as they beat a strong Cheshunt side. On a warm autumn morning, Roysto
Cheshunt 10 Royston 25
DESPITE the early season loss of head coach Jon Simons due to his commitments to the Dancing Bears dance troop, Royston started the season on fire as they beat a strong Cheshunt side.
On a warm autumn morning, Royston started well and got off to a perfect start after Oscar Ayliff broke through the defensive line and released Joseph Simons who then fed Edward Shannon to finish with aplomb.
However, Cheshunt responded well and were soon level but it was pleasing to see Royston respond with great work in the forwards from Jake Letch, Jack Harvey and Charlie Bartlett.
With the forwards winning the ball, Royston soon were ahead again.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 3 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 4 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 5 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 6 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 7 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 8 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
- 9 Citizens Advice: Your rights should anything get lost or delayed in the post
- 10 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
Great work by scrum-half Nathan king fed Edward Shannon who ran the length of the field for the second try.
However, Cheshunt refused to lay down and would have been on level terms if it were not for a great tackle by Billy Mace who was making his debut.
The Royston pack continued to dominate and a strong run by Charlie Pearson set the ball up for the forwards to drive forward with Joseph Ellison and Zac Holson in support.
The ball was then fed to Jamie Drage and along the backline through Asley Jones, Cameron Denchfield, and Lyle Clarke, and finally to Edward Shannon went over for his third try of the game.
He then got his fourth thanks to good work by another debutant, Will Pritchard.
Captain Will Tyrell added the fifth after a flowing move before Cheshunt scored a late consolation.
Royston under-11s will be playing in the Letchworth Tournament next on Sunday, September 27, at Letchworth and look forward to the continued support from new sponsors Royston Veterinary Centre.