U18s through to third round of County Cup
London Maccabbi Lions 1 Royston Town U18s 3
ROYSTON youth team progressed to the third round of the U18 County Cup with a good performance at London Maccabbi Lions.
The 3G grass surface allowed free flowing football which the Royston side produced for the most part and – but for some excelled goalkeeping, bad luck and poor finishing – the margin of victory could and should have been far greater.
Royston’s first two goals both came from corners with Tom Specer heading a 12th minute opener before Shane Carthy stabbed home from close range seven minutes later.
The home ‘keeper made no fewer than five stunning first half saves and this trend continued in the second half along with some very close misses.
You may also want to watch:
Despite their efforts the visitors could not kill the game off and a rare forage forward saw the Lions hit the post then reduce the deficit on 70 minutes with a close-range finish from a long throw.
The game became stretched as the Lions threw players forward which left gaps in defence and George Duffin curled in a late 88th minute decider on the break to finally kill the game off.
- 1 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 2 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 5 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 6 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 7 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
- 8 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 9 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 10 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
The result was more than merited and the Crows will face a home tie against either St Albans City or Bishops Stortford Youth in the third round in December.