U18s through to third round of County Cup
London Maccabbi Lions 1 Royston Town U18s 3
ROYSTON youth team progressed to the third round of the U18 County Cup with a good performance at London Maccabbi Lions.
The 3G grass surface allowed free flowing football which the Royston side produced for the most part and – but for some excelled goalkeeping, bad luck and poor finishing – the margin of victory could and should have been far greater.
Royston’s first two goals both came from corners with Tom Specer heading a 12th minute opener before Shane Carthy stabbed home from close range seven minutes later.
The home ‘keeper made no fewer than five stunning first half saves and this trend continued in the second half along with some very close misses.
You may also want to watch:
Despite their efforts the visitors could not kill the game off and a rare forage forward saw the Lions hit the post then reduce the deficit on 70 minutes with a close-range finish from a long throw.
The game became stretched as the Lions threw players forward which left gaps in defence and George Duffin curled in a late 88th minute decider on the break to finally kill the game off.
- 1 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 2 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 4 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 5 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 6 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 7 Could you help preserve ponds in Reed?
- 8 Agricultural expert 'over the moon' with MBE
- 9 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM
- 10 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
The result was more than merited and the Crows will face a home tie against either St Albans City or Bishops Stortford Youth in the third round in December.