U18s power past Huntingdon
Ridgeons U18 League
Royston Town U18s 6-2 Huntingdon Town U18s
ROYSTON U18s produced one of their best results of the season against Huntingdon Town on Thursday evening.
The scoreline was made all the more impressive as the starting XI contained six members of the U16s squad while three more were on the bench.
The confidence of the youngsters in possession of the ball was evident throughout and they started this game on top but conceded first midway through the half when poor marking allowed a simple finish from a corner.
This didn’t affect the Crows’ game and they levelled 10 minutes before half time when Matt Brennan struck home via the post from 16 yards after a half cleared corner.
Two minutes later Royston were ahead. Daniel Bond flicked on Ryan Omahony’s long throw with Brennan heading in a second goal at the far post.
- 1 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 2 Fine issued after rubbish fly-tipped in country lane
- 3 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 4 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 5 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 6 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 7 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 8 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 9 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 10 MPs remain silent on whether they have confidence in PM
The game was level at the interval, though, in unfortunate circumstances when an attempted clearance from a right wing cross struck a forward and rebounded into the net.
Royston returned in the second half to produce a very dominating show. Within 30 seconds they had regained the lead. Eliis King’s ball forward bounced off a defender to allow Jake Booth to run through and shoot wide of the goalkeeper.
The game was made safe with the goal of the game midway through the half. A fine counter attack saw Jahrome Mullings back heel the ball into the path of Ellis King who unleashed a rasping left-footed drive from 16 yards past the ‘keeper.
From then on it was all Royston in the remaining 15 minutes. Bond had two one-on-one efforts blocked by the ‘keeper and Booth shot over twice from good positions before Ben Robinson scored from six yards, lashing home a free kick that was not cleared.
George Duffin completed the scoring late on when his free kick from the wide left drifted over the ‘keeper’s outstretched reach and into the far corner of the goal.
Royston U18s: Plumb, Omahony, Robinson, Jahmel Mullings, Wooding, Wheeler (Jahrome Mullings), Brennan (Dann), King, Bond, Duffin, Booth (Vieira).