Two wins away from Division One title
Cranfield United 0 Royston Town 4 ROYSTON Town could seal both promotion and the Division One title during their next two games after an excellent performance saw off in-form Cranfield United. Cranfield had been beaten only once in 13 games before Thursda
Cranfield United 0 Royston Town 4
ROYSTON Town could seal both promotion and the Division One title during their next two games after an excellent performance saw off in-form Cranfield United.
Cranfield had been beaten only once in 13 games before Thursday's encounter and were in confident mood, but Paul Attfield's side found their rhythm on an excellent pitch and the end result was resounding.
After an initial sparring period Cranfield had their only really chance of the game when prolific striker Stuart Reynolds pounced on a long clearance but shot straight at Crows' keeper Richard Barlow, but from then on in it was all about Royston who knocked the ball around with great confidence and pace.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors took the lead midway through the half when Craig Hammond's angled drive, after he had controlled a ball from the right and advanced on goal, was blocked by the keeper and Ricky Young hooked the ball high into the net from 10 yards.
Royston were also looking dangerous from set plays and Ryan Lockett, who was returning from suspension, knocked two excellent balls in for both Arron Welch and Greg Jackson but both headers were hacked off the goal line by retreating defenders.
- 1 Two arrested after drugs raid in Bassingbourn
- 2 Wonder Woman flies into IWM Duxford for movie scenes
- 3 Mass vaccine centre opening marks 'big step forward' in beating COVID-19
- 4 Granta surgeries deliver COVID-19 vaccinations
- 5 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 6 Fraudster jailed after £60,000 shopping spree
- 7 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 8 Housing first battleground in mayor elections for Cambridgeshire
- 9 Thriplow's Baroness Boothroyd slams government vaccine strategy
- 10 Make the A505 Safer: Improvement works to continue in 2021
The Crows did score from a set piece, however, when Jan Stephen's excellent free kick was met by David Cain who headed high over the keeper from 12 yards to make it 2-0 at the break.
The second half was completely dominated by Royston who ground their hosts into the floor with their passing.
Their third goal could easily be a contender for goal of the season when a 15 pass move ended with a left-sided cross that Craig Hammond dummied for Ryan Lockett to convert from 10 yards, and the scoring was completed by Tom Malins with 20 minutes remaining when he picked the ball up 18 yards from goal and blasted an unstoppable shot into the bottom right corner.
Royston: Barlow, Endacott, Stephens (Morriss), Babbage, Cain, Welch (Edwards), Jackson, Young, Hammond (Malins), Lockett, Robins.