Trimble wins Men’s Club Championship
Royston Golf Club round-up
CHRIS Trimble won the Men’s Club Championship at Royston Golf Club on Sunday with a 36-hole score of 144.
He opened with a morning round of 71 to trail Paul Lewis, who shot the lowest round of his career with a level par 70, and with the top two players in the Club, Stuart Phillips and Mark Rogers absent, it was always going to be an open event. Ollie Bance, Pete Rutter and Keith Jest were just behind after shooting rounds of 74.
It was Jest that spearheaded the challenge in the afternoon with a 71, which was matched by Robert Clark, although Clark was too far behind after a poor opening round.
Jest’s total of 145 was matched by Paul Thomson who added a level par 70 to his first round of 75. It was left to Trimble to capture his first championship, adding to his Junior Championship victory in 2004. He struggled over the front nine and by the turn had dropped seven shots to par, but a remarkable finish of four straight birdies gave him the title.
You may also want to watch:
Jest had the consolation of retaining the Single Figure Cup for the best nett score of the day with 131.
Meanwhile, Royston Ladies played their fifth group match in the Jean Wilkinson county team competition on Tuesday at home to Brampton. They made home advantage pay with a resounding 14-0 victory.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 5 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 6 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 7 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
The Royston Mixed team travelled to St Ives and despite the poor weather, they put in a superb performance to win six matches to four.
The Lady Captain’s Am/Am was played last Thursday over 12 holes on a lovely evening and the winning team was Sarah Buckerfield, Marjory Humphreys and Evelyn Fenton with 47 points. The runners-up were led by Gill Drewery, accompanied by Sandra Williams and Tina Collins.
Tom Clayton was victorious in the Single Stableford, played alongside the club championship, with an impressive 43 points, seeing his 14-handicap trimmed to 12.
The ever consistent Danny Crotty was second with 40, while past Captain, Alan Lakey, finished third with 38.
In other results Will Cooper won the Men’s Saturday Medal with a nett score of 68 on countback ahead of Clive Middlemass and Greg Fyson, while in the Men’s Thursday Medal Gavin Evans came out on top with a nett score of 64 ahead of James Hayden (68).