Town turn it on with a spot of six-y football
Walkern Vets 2 Royston Town Vets 6 TOWN Vets maintained their impressive form with a convincing 6-2 win over old rivals Walkern at Stevenage on Sunday. Town were slow to get into the game and after five minutes the hosts took the lead when Town s defence
Walkern Vets 2 Royston Town Vets 6
TOWN Vets maintained their impressive form with a convincing 6-2 win over old rivals Walkern at Stevenage on Sunday.
Town were slow to get into the game and after five minutes the hosts took the lead when Town's defence failed to mark in the box and the Walkern centre forward beat 'keeper Colin McArthur with a low volley into the corner of the goal.
Royston were soon on level terms as Paul Lewis fired home from a Peter Leete head down but Walkern then went ahead again from a long range free kick that McArthur misjudged as the ball curled in over his head.
After a 20 minute period of play largely confined to the middle third of the pitch it was Town who scored next as Lewis crossed from the right and Leete managed to flick the ball past the home 'keeper at the near post.
Nick Humphries then gave Town the lead for the first when he latched on to a loose ball to guide home.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 3 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 4 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 5 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 6 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 7 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
- 8 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 9 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
- 10 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
Town gradually began to take control with the back four looking secure and Matt McQueen and Carlo Silenti running the midfield and pressure on the home defence built up and they conceded a penalty when Humphries was upended in the box.
Lewis made no mistake from the spot kick and opened a two goal lead.
In the second half Town continued to dominate and created a number of excellent chances and they extended their lead to 5-2 when Humphries crossed for Lewis to slot the ball home and complete another fine hat-trick.
Lewis then went on to score his fourth and Town's sixth and final goal when Nick King punted a long ball from defence and he controlled the ball and sent the 'keeper the wrong way as he coolly placed the ball in the net.
Royston Town Vets: McArthur, Smith, Cannon, King, Harris, Pinner, Humphries, Silenti, McQueen, Lewis, Leete, Daniels, Flack, Allen.
Town travel to Buntingford for this Sunday's fixture.