Town’s run ends in dis-May

Buntingford Town 0 Hinton 1 A 91st-minute Michael May goal ended Town s unbeaten start to the season in a game they dominated for long periods. Our finishing was embarrassing bordering pathetic and ultimately its cost us the points blasted boss Paul A

Buntingford Town 0

Hinton 1

A 91st-minute Michael May goal ended Town's unbeaten start to the season in a game they dominated for long periods.

"Our finishing was embarrassing bordering pathetic and ultimately its cost us the points" blasted boss Paul Attfield.

"It's no exaggeration to say we created probably 15 or 16 clear chances to score, and on most occasions couldn't even test the keeper from around the six-yard box.

"I'm not faulting the effort or our general play, which at times was as good as in any other good performance this season, but you can't expect to miss what we have done and take anything from the game."

Most Read

From the outset Town took control of the game and were camped in Hinton's defensive third for long periods.

Within two minutes a weak back pass was pressured by Coner DeLacy and the keeper's hurried clearance hit De Lacy and bounced back off of the crossbar and was scrambled away.

Three minutes later a 25 yard free kick was taken by Luke Robins and was tipped over the bar at full stretch by the Hinton goalkeeper.

David Cain and Chris Hardy narrowly missed with headers and Ashley Townsend managed to head a Luke Robin's corner over unmarked just six yards from goal.

Town's best move of the game in the 28th minute saw Tom Malins played through on goal but his effort was parried into the six yard box by the keeper and a scramble went in the visiting team's favour with the ball being eventually cleared.

With Hinton always tidy in possession, but ineffective in the final third, they were unable to create any chances and just before half time another Town chance went begging.

De Lacy was played clean through on goal but he hesitated too much and the keeper was able to smother the ball.

Having not found their first half rhythm, Attfield changed personnel and formation with a treble change, introducing Gary Christie, Jan Stephens and Jamie Babbage which helped the home side gradually gain the initiative.

The remaining time was exceedingly frustrating from the home side's point of view as a series of embarrassing misses or poor passes hampered any neat approach play.

Although nearly every Town player had an opportunity to test the target the visiting keeper only had to watch efforts go high or wide of the target.

Town gave away cheap possession around the Hinton area, and a quick break saw a simple right wing cross converted with a tap in by May to take the points.

Amersham Town Reserves 3

Royston Town Reserves 4

DESPITE going in at half-time with a three goal advantage Royston had to defend in depth to take the Spartan South Midlands Reserve League

From the first whistle Royston took the game to Amersham in a one sided first period, with goals from Jez McMurrough, who proved to be a thorn in the hosts' side throughout, a top drawer free kick from Matt Hayden, and Adam Stokes, whose goal was just reward for a tireless display as the single striker.

The second half really should have been little more than training game for the visitors, but the Amersham centre forward had other ideas, picking his side up with two well taken goals which put the spirit back into the hosts, and put them in the driving seat for long periods of the second 45 minutes.

Only some excellent defending, in particular from centre-back Michael Baker keeping the Royston advantage.

Having seen their lead diminish Royston finally got going, and were rewarded when Bradley Jackson got them back to a two goal advantage, following a good link up with his brother Greg.

With time almost up, again the hosts number nine converted to complete a deserved hat-trick.

Royston: T Parry, D Miles, M Baker, A Stothard, D Bird, B Jackson, M Hayden, B Bowles, A Stokes, J McMurrough, C Parry, G Jackson, S Cooke, S James.

Watton At Stone 3

Royston Town A 8

TOWN continued with their fine start to the season with a tremendous victory at Watton.

Despite travelling without a recognized keeper after Chris Free failed a late fitness test, Royston went into this game in a confident mood and from the first whistle imposed a siege on the hosts goal area.

This pressure paid off when Mike Bloss headed home a deep corner to open the scoring.

Next on the scoresheet was the hard working and influential Brett Purkis who converted a penalty after he had been fouled following a mazy run into Watton's area.

A rare Jordan Wilson back heeled goal, again from a corner ended the game as a contest as Town surged into a three goal lead

Two goals from Robby Gwynne and Lee Bates effort put the home side 6-0 down at half time.

Royston's only real problem was complacency and tiredness and after Gwynne completed his hat-trick with a fine lob, several Town players switched off.

This allowed Watton the chance to grab three quick goals before Craig Hunter rounded the game off with a fine solo effort.

After the first half display Town should really have gone on to record a higher score and although not crucial to the grand scheme of things really should have kept a clean sheet.

Royston: J Merideth,D Crosk, M Evans,M Bloss,J Wilson(K Butler), P Hodgson,K Blair,B Purkiss,A Kowkabzadheh(J Bass), L Bates,R Gwynne(C Hunter) Unused sub: A Littlefair

Fowlmere Metals 1 Ickleton 0

METALS picked up their first points of the season at the expense of a strong Ickleton side.

Ickleton have started the season well, claiming seven points from three games and Metals knew this would be a tough game.

It was the visitors who applied the early pressure and after missing a host of chances were awarded a penalty. Up stepped the Ickleton striker who calmly slotted home.

However, the referee ordered the penalty to be re-taken as a player entered the 18 yard box. This time the penalty was struck wide.

Metals came into the game more and more but could not manage to create anything in the final third.

Metals came out much the stronger team in the second half, but again could not manage to create anything worth talking about.

It was not until 10 minutes to go that the deadlock was broken and three touches secured the points for Folwmere.

An Ickleton corner was swung into the back post and headed away by Oliver McGrath.

On the turn Nick Van Der Merwe hit the ball into the Ickleton half which Adam Stokes latched onto and lobbed the keeper from 30 yards.

It was a tough last 10 minutes but Metals held on for their first win of the season.

Foxton 0 Girton United 1

FOXTON suffered their first home league defeat of the season on Saturday after a lacklustre performance against a lively Girton side.

The only goal of the game was scored by the Girton forward when a long clearance from the visiting keeper caught out the Foxton back- line and the striker lobbed keeper Andy Kimsey who was stranded in noman's land.

The closest Foxton came to an equaliser in the first half was a drive from Iain Tokely from outside the box which the Girton keeper tipped round for a corner.

With Foxton having to re-arrange their side yet again through missing or injured players, they lacked height up front without Andy Gray.

They struggled to retain possession which put their defence under strain, and when Chris Haynes had to replace full back Vinny Spina, and with Ian Lawrence also making his first appearance due to Jamie Clark's unavailablity, Foxton appeared unsettled at the back throughout.

The home side only started to put pressure on the Girton defence when player-manager Sean Audley went up front with 20 minutes to go, and Foxton finally started winning some aerial balls.

It was Audley who came closest to equalising with 10 minutes to go when he rose above the visiting defence but his glancing header just missed the far post.

The hosts threw everything at the visitors as the game drew to a close, but an equaliser evaded them, and the loss sees Foxton slip to fifth in the league.

Foxton's run of home games continues on Saturday when Hemingfords United are the visitors.