Tour delight for Royston Rugby Club’s juniors
- Credit: Archant
For the second year in a row Royston Rugby Club’s U13s won the Barkers Butts tournament in Coventry.
The tour, which was a first for some of the players, started well for the Herts side who carried a range of inflatables with them on the sidelines.
They first beat Heaton Moor from Stockport 20-0 with tries from George Adam, Finn Livingstone, Luke Townsend and Euan Rees.
Next up was Shipston from Warwickshire. Royston took time to settle and Shipston scored first.
Rees levelled up the scores before Kai Pendlebury crashed through.
A lack of concentration and two missed tackles allowed Shipston back in the game to leave for a nail biting finish.
With little time remaining, Royston surged forward into the Shipston 22 and Alex Howarth crossed to claim the win.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Royston Bloomsday marks 100th anniversary of James Joyce's novel
- 3 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 4 Vehicles, greenhouse and fence 'smashed' in Royston
- 5 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 6 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge view portrait of themselves at Fitzwilliam Museum
- 7 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 8 Property: How could the new laws for renters affect you?
- 9 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
- 10 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
The hosts, Barkers Butts, were up next. Royston ran riot with tries from Pendlebury (two), Freddy Raymen (three), Howarth and Townsend.
Due to other results going their way Royston had mathematically won the group, but wanted to end in style against Stratford.
Jack Bateman went over in the first half for a deserved score.
Royston continued to tackle their hearts out, ruck and scrummage like their lives depended on it.
They settled for a 5-0 victory to run out as the Barkers Butts tournament winners for the second year.