Tour delight for Royston Rugby Club’s juniors
- Credit: Archant
For the second year in a row Royston Rugby Club’s U13s won the Barkers Butts tournament in Coventry.
The tour, which was a first for some of the players, started well for the Herts side who carried a range of inflatables with them on the sidelines.
They first beat Heaton Moor from Stockport 20-0 with tries from George Adam, Finn Livingstone, Luke Townsend and Euan Rees.
Next up was Shipston from Warwickshire. Royston took time to settle and Shipston scored first.
Rees levelled up the scores before Kai Pendlebury crashed through.
You may also want to watch:
A lack of concentration and two missed tackles allowed Shipston back in the game to leave for a nail biting finish.
With little time remaining, Royston surged forward into the Shipston 22 and Alex Howarth crossed to claim the win.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 4 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 5 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 6 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 7 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 8 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 9 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 10 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
The hosts, Barkers Butts, were up next. Royston ran riot with tries from Pendlebury (two), Freddy Raymen (three), Howarth and Townsend.
Due to other results going their way Royston had mathematically won the group, but wanted to end in style against Stratford.
Jack Bateman went over in the first half for a deserved score.
Royston continued to tackle their hearts out, ruck and scrummage like their lives depended on it.
They settled for a 5-0 victory to run out as the Barkers Butts tournament winners for the second year.