Touch rugby tournament a success at Royston RFC
- Credit: Archant
A fantastic few months for Royston Rugby Club got underway at the weekend with a touch rugby tournament on the Heath on Saturday and a volunteer driven maintenance day being carried out on the Sunday as part of the NatWest Rugby Force weekend.
Twenty teams gathered from near and far to play for the Heath Cup, won by Northampton COYS with the trophy being presented by Toby from the Heath Bar who supported the event.
Royston in Blue also kindly contributed to the event by donating water, and Glazed Creations created some marvellous trophies.
Getting the tournament underway Sir Oliver Heald MP said: “This is an exciting time for Royston Rugby Club, with the news that 2003 World Cup winner, and Sky Sports pundit, Will Greenwood has joined the club to help with their development.
“Together with over 350 children involved with the club, a newly established women’s team, a new seniors coach and touch rugby at Royston thriving, tournaments like today show that rugby is truly for all.”
You may also want to watch:
The excitement continues this coming Sunday with Greenwood’s first visit to the club as he begins his role as club ambassador.
A Pitch Up and Play event will run from 11am to 1pm on the day and people of all ages are invited to go along and try rugby out, before hearing a rallying cry from Greenwood himself as to why he has got involved with the club.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 3 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 4 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 5 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange