Top-notch ladies warm up for the cup
ROYSTON Town Ladies got their season off to a flier, with a 4-0 rout of Sharnbrook on Sunday. They nearly took the lead after just two minutes, when Emma Chaffey hit a post with the goalkeeper beaten. Royston continued to push forward and, for the first 2
ROYSTON Town Ladies got their season off to a flier, with a 4-0 rout of Sharnbrook on Sunday.
They nearly took the lead after just two minutes, when Emma Chaffey hit a post with the goalkeeper beaten.
Royston continued to push forward and, for the first 20 minutes, it was one-way traffic.
Indeed, only a combination of some good saves and poor finishing kept the visitors in the game.
You may also want to watch:
But then Royston lost striker Ivika Narripa with a knee injury, and as the first half drew to a close, Sharnbrook looked the stronger side, and almost snatched the lead on the stroke of half-time.
Royston came out after the break all guns blazing and scored twice in the first five minutes of the second half.
- 1 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 2 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 3 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 4 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 5 Margaret House residential home celebrates 50th anniversary milestone
- 6 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 9 Hunt the hearts at town trail to raise money for charity
- 10 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
Marie Miller opened the scoring with a powerful finish from a left-wing cross, and captain Vicky Foulger made it two, with a devastating finish following a surging run from midfield.
Stacey Hassan, on her debut, scored Royston's third with a well-taken strike, and with ten minutes left, Chaffey scored the goal of the game, dragging the ball back and crashing it into the top corner.
The ladies' next match is on Sunday at Great Bury in the preliminary round of the FA Women's Cup.
Royston Town Ladies 5
Hitchin Hearts 0
Leanne Buchanan put the Crows ahead in this friendly, and Marie Miller made it two with a superb volley from ten yards.
Emma Chaffey got the third direct from a free kick, before new signing Ivika Narripa made her mark with a superb individual goal, running half the length of the pitch and rounding the keeper.
Chaffey completed the scoring after some good build-up play on the right flank.