Title looms for Melbourn
A JASON Gray hat-trick was the highlight as Melbourn showed their intent for promotion and the Division 1A title. Melbourn started the game brightly and didn t allow Steeple Bumpstead out of their half before taking the lead after five minutes with Chaz H
A JASON Gray hat-trick was the highlight as Melbourn showed their intent for promotion and the Division 1A title.
Melbourn started the game brightly and didn't allow Steeple Bumpstead out of their half before taking the lead after five minutes with Chaz Hassen bundling home after Andrew Gray's long throw.
Bumpstead then tried to physically intimidate Melbourn which worked until just before the break when Gray struck home after the 'keeper spilled another long throw-in under pressure from Kris Watters.
Gray notched his second straight after the restart when he nodded home brother Andrew's free-kick before Carl Chadwick scored the fourth with the away 'keeper dropping the ball onto his foot at the far post.
You may also want to watch:
Gray's hat-trick was complete moments later following fine work from the excellent Ben Fox who released Gray through on goal and he finished at the second time of asking.
Hassen then scored his second after a superb back-heel from Watters and Watters himself got in on the act when he headed home the seventh at the far post.
- 1 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 2 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 3 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 4 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 5 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 6 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 7 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 8 Royal Ascot: ones to watch on final day
- 9 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Comedy festival IS going ahead - with Covid-safe measures in place
Chadwick completed Melbourn's scoring with a fine left-footed strike from 20 yards that flew into the top corner.
Melbourn then conceded a silly penalty in the final minute which took some of the gloss off of the performance, but the fact remains that Melbourn are well on their way to achieving promotion and winning the title after what has so far been a fantastic season.