Title looms for Melbourn
A JASON Gray hat-trick was the highlight as Melbourn showed their intent for promotion and the Division 1A title. Melbourn started the game brightly and didn t allow Steeple Bumpstead out of their half before taking the lead after five minutes with Chaz H
A JASON Gray hat-trick was the highlight as Melbourn showed their intent for promotion and the Division 1A title.
Melbourn started the game brightly and didn't allow Steeple Bumpstead out of their half before taking the lead after five minutes with Chaz Hassen bundling home after Andrew Gray's long throw.
Bumpstead then tried to physically intimidate Melbourn which worked until just before the break when Gray struck home after the 'keeper spilled another long throw-in under pressure from Kris Watters.
Gray notched his second straight after the restart when he nodded home brother Andrew's free-kick before Carl Chadwick scored the fourth with the away 'keeper dropping the ball onto his foot at the far post.
Gray's hat-trick was complete moments later following fine work from the excellent Ben Fox who released Gray through on goal and he finished at the second time of asking.
Hassen then scored his second after a superb back-heel from Watters and Watters himself got in on the act when he headed home the seventh at the far post.
- 1 One of a kind Second World War aircraft to fly in historic flypast at IWM Duxford’s Battle of Britain Air Show 2022
- 2 Let's go fly a kite as festival returns after two years
- 3 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 4 Children's kite design competition winners announced
- 5 Firefighters tackle large blaze in field in Guilden Morden
- 6 20 Ukrainian medical students begin placements at Addenbrooke’s
- 7 Residents concerned 140 homes plan could cause 'ecological catastrophe'
- 8 Mid-August railway strike set to hit Hertfordshire train lines
- 9 Hertfordshire 'extreme heat' amber warning as temperature set to soar
- 10 Author AJ Campbell to publish fourth novel
Chadwick completed Melbourn's scoring with a fine left-footed strike from 20 yards that flew into the top corner.
Melbourn then conceded a silly penalty in the final minute which took some of the gloss off of the performance, but the fact remains that Melbourn are well on their way to achieving promotion and winning the title after what has so far been a fantastic season.