Tibbals Treble Sinks Bedfont
Royston Town 3 Bedfont 2 By Tom Brown GRAHAM Tibbals was Royston s match winner once more, with his 89th minute strike sending the Crows into the first round of the FA Vase. The pacy striker capped a memorable day for the club after twice putting the
Royston Town 3 Bedfont 2
By Tom Brown
GRAHAM Tibbals was Royston's match winner once more, with his 89th minute strike sending the Crows into the first round of the FA Vase.
The pacy striker capped a memorable day for the club after twice putting the hosts in front. But it wasn't until the last minute of the match that stubborn Bedfont were put to the sword.
Tibbals' first came almost 80 minutes earlier, when James Scott's goal kick eluded the visiting defence with Tibbals outpacing his marker and rolling the ball under the advancing Dean Banks.
It was to the only goal of an otherwise quiet first half with Bedfont offering very little threat. Although midfielder Matt Hayden did have a great chance to increase the Royston lead moments before the break.
- 1 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 2 School to make 'wide-ranging changes' following Ofsted inspection
- 3 North East Herts MP declares 'loss of confidence' in PM
- 4 Health at the Hub project launched in Melbourn
- 5 Fowlmere residents voice objections to housing development
- 6 Chancellor and health secretary dramatically quit
- 7 Tesco Community Garden to hold weekend celebration
- 8 Cambridge Summer Music Festival 2022 brings world-class classical performers to Cambridgeshire
- 9 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 10 Kite Festival set to return to Royston next month
In the second half the Combined Counties team came out on the offensive and it was clear from the kick off that an equaliser was only minutes away.
With the Royston players seemingly still in the changing room, the powerful Russell Miner pounced on a Royston mistake and crashed home from the edge of the box.
It was a cruel blow for Royston, but nonetheless a goal that Bedfont deserved.
However, the Crows were back in front when Lee Rogers' smart free-kick found Seb Ndombe; and when the Royston striker's header hit the woodwork it was Tibbals who reacted first and headed unmarked on the goal line.
But it was a lead that didn't last long when the Royston defence responded slowly to a Bedfont corner with Miner again on hand to grab his side another goal.
The goal set up a frantic final 10 minutes with Glenn Donnelly going close for the away side and Ndombe forcing a save from Banks.
The winner came after some good play again from Ndombe, Tibbals crept behind James White and deftly volleyed the ball beyond the reach of Banks.
Royston Town: Scott; Chappell, Geldart, Baker (Bloss), Daniels; Hayden (Davenport), Edwards, Rogers, Julu; Tibbals, Ndombe.