Tibbals stars as Royston keep their cool
Royston Town Res 3 Hatfield Town Res 2 TWO goals from Graham Tibbals helped Royston secure a win in this feisty top of the table clash. Royston played three across the back, enabling them to swamp the midfield, and their hard work paid off when young
Royston Town Res 3
Hatfield Town Res 2
TWO goals from Graham Tibbals helped Royston secure a win in this feisty top of the table clash.
Royston played three across the back, enabling them to swamp the midfield, and their hard work paid off when young Josh Bronte played through Greg Jackson, who coolly lobbed the keeper to put the home team ahead.
You may also want to watch:
The lead was doubled when Tibbals showed real tenacity in catching the Hatfield defence in possession before racing clear of some lunging tackles to round the keeper and slot the ball home.
The home team were not out of the woods yet though, and the visitors made their intentions clear by pulling a goal back on the stroke of half time.
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 3 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 4 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 6 Labour organiser criticises Labour mayor for hiring a Tory as deputy
- 7 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 8 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 9 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM
- 10 Commissioner to grill Herts Police chief over stalking powers 'failure'
With the game going into its final third, Tibbals restored Royston's two goal lead after firing home a pin-point cross.
The match became a test of attitude for the home side as the visitors' frustration boiled over and several unsavoury tackles flew in, but the away side were only able to pinch a goal back in injury time.
Reserves' manager Kevin Wilson said: "I thought we had 14 heroes here. My players stood up to extremely daunting provocation and did what we do best - played football.