Tibbals stars as Royston keep their cool
Royston Town Res 3 Hatfield Town Res 2 TWO goals from Graham Tibbals helped Royston secure a win in this feisty top of the table clash. Royston played three across the back, enabling them to swamp the midfield, and their hard work paid off when young
Royston Town Res 3
Hatfield Town Res 2
TWO goals from Graham Tibbals helped Royston secure a win in this feisty top of the table clash.
Royston played three across the back, enabling them to swamp the midfield, and their hard work paid off when young Josh Bronte played through Greg Jackson, who coolly lobbed the keeper to put the home team ahead.
You may also want to watch:
The lead was doubled when Tibbals showed real tenacity in catching the Hatfield defence in possession before racing clear of some lunging tackles to round the keeper and slot the ball home.
The home team were not out of the woods yet though, and the visitors made their intentions clear by pulling a goal back on the stroke of half time.
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 6 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 7 Council leader calls for 'kind and courteous' queuing for fuel
- 8 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
With the game going into its final third, Tibbals restored Royston's two goal lead after firing home a pin-point cross.
The match became a test of attitude for the home side as the visitors' frustration boiled over and several unsavoury tackles flew in, but the away side were only able to pinch a goal back in injury time.
Reserves' manager Kevin Wilson said: "I thought we had 14 heroes here. My players stood up to extremely daunting provocation and did what we do best - played football.