Tibbals stars as Royston keep their cool
Royston Town Res 3 Hatfield Town Res 2 TWO goals from Graham Tibbals helped Royston secure a win in this feisty top of the table clash. Royston played three across the back, enabling them to swamp the midfield, and their hard work paid off when young
Royston Town Res 3
Hatfield Town Res 2
TWO goals from Graham Tibbals helped Royston secure a win in this feisty top of the table clash.
Royston played three across the back, enabling them to swamp the midfield, and their hard work paid off when young Josh Bronte played through Greg Jackson, who coolly lobbed the keeper to put the home team ahead.
The lead was doubled when Tibbals showed real tenacity in catching the Hatfield defence in possession before racing clear of some lunging tackles to round the keeper and slot the ball home.
The home team were not out of the woods yet though, and the visitors made their intentions clear by pulling a goal back on the stroke of half time.
- 1 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 2 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 3 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 4 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 5 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
- 6 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 7 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 8 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
- 9 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
- 10 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
With the game going into its final third, Tibbals restored Royston's two goal lead after firing home a pin-point cross.
The match became a test of attitude for the home side as the visitors' frustration boiled over and several unsavoury tackles flew in, but the away side were only able to pinch a goal back in injury time.
Reserves' manager Kevin Wilson said: "I thought we had 14 heroes here. My players stood up to extremely daunting provocation and did what we do best - played football.