Thumping wins for Royston’s top teams
Royston Hockey Club round-up
IT proved a winning weekend for both of Royston Hockey Club’s top sides, as the Men’s first team defeated Witham 4-1 while the ladies’ first team triumphed 4-0 against Haverhill.
The men’s first team bounced back from a disappointing defeat the previous week with a comprehensive victory coming from behind to claim all three points against Witham in East Division 2S.
They fell behind early on against the run of play, but Royston fought on, enjoying the comfort of possession in the opponents half, a number of opportunities were created down Royston’s right between Graham Johnson-Mack, Mike Priest and Nathan Sugden putting the home defence under constant pressure.
You may also want to watch:
The all important equalizer soon came from a calm finish from Josh Hughes. A string of short passes into the Royston midfield, carved the space needed for Hughes to slot the ball from a wide angle passed the Witham keeper.
Royston’s speed going from defence to attack caught the home side napping with the Royston strike force taking full advantage. Firstly Mike Welding put Royston in front, rounding the keeper and slotting home, then Priest extended the lead in much the same way.
- 1 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 2 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 5 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 6 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 7 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 8 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
Royston needed to score the next goal to be sure of putting the game to bed and avoid a late resurgence from Witham. In similar fashion, Welding doubled his tally to finish the game and claim all three points for Royston.
The ladies’ first team were equally as impressive in their match against Haverhill in East 2SW – their second in three matches.
Sarah Buckerfield capped off an excellent game with a Man of the match performance with her first hat-trick of the season, with Sophie Gathercole scoring the fourth goal.
Royston’s captain Wendy Holt said after the game: “It is not very often other teams go out of their way to tell you how good your hockey is but Haverhill did. They were impressed with our movement and space awareness. It was a great team effort.”
A depleted men’s IIs went down 5-2 away at Cheshunt. Max Harper scored Royston’s first at the far post after a neat short corner routine, before Ed Hall’s strike early in the second half left Cheshunt rattled.
However, Cheshunt regained their composure and went on to secure all three points despite a spirited showing from Royston.
The ladies’ IIs suffered a narrow 2-1 reverse away at Harpenden IIIs, despite taking a second half lead through Victoria Biddlecombe.
The men’s IIIs went down 1-0 at home against St Albans VIIs, while the ladies’ IIIs drew 1-1 with Berkhamsted IIs, with Caroline Legg scoring the goal that salvaged a share of the spoils.
Finally, the men’s IVs lost 1-0 at home to Southgate Adelaide IIIs.