Thriplow youngster see off Babraham
Thriplow (168-8) lost to Babraham III (170-6) by four wickets Thriplow III s youngsters showed real determination during their game against Babraham thirds on Saturday. Harry Bright and Jack Staley opened the bowling for Thriplow and Bright managed to re
Thriplow (168-8) lost to Babraham III (170-6) by four wickets
Thriplow III's youngsters showed real determination during their game against Babraham thirds on Saturday.
Harry Bright and Jack Staley opened the bowling for Thriplow and Bright managed to restrict the opening pair of Liles and Ghos to just seven runs from the first four overs.
Both batsmen found it difficult to score and Brighton had Liles caught on 16. Ghos followed soon after thanks to a run out. Howarth and Howe came to the crease and started to accumulate runs though.
You may also want to watch:
The introduction of Peter Maskell into the attack slowed down the run rate - his four overs going for just four runs. Both batsmen found runs hard to come by as Simon Hays bowled his five overs for six runs.
A period of loose bowling and good batting allowed Howarth and Howe to increase the score until Howarth misjudged a single and was run out for a composed 51.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 3 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 4 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 5 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 6 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 7 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 8 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 9 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford
- 10 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
Ebberson came to join Howe but the introduction of Will Hart into the attack produced a result. Hart bowled Howe (35) in his first over and caught and bowled Ebberson for a duck in his second over. The bowlers continued to be rotated and, well supported by the fielders, held Babraham to a total of 172 off 40 overs.
In reply the Thriplow batters struggled against the very accurate bowling of Mudge and Bicknell and the openers Berks and Hyman soon found themselves back in the pavilion.
Sam Jones, in his fifth adult game, came to the crease and very patiently set about building an innings. At the other end Bicknell and Mudge continued to bowl well and did not let the Thriplow batsman settle.
Soon Staley, Osborne, Will Hart and Hays were out for not many runs. Meanwhile the ever watchfull Jones was accumulating runs and he was joined by Harry Bright. Jones and Bright increased the tempo with fine running between the wickets and a steady number of boundaries until Jones was bowled by Ebberson for a fine 57, his first adult cricket 50.
Bright was joined by Hart senior and with good running they added to the total.
When Hart was out Ayre joined Bright with two overs to go with 19 runs required to win. Both batsman hit out and managed 16, to fall two short of the Babraham total on 170.