Thomson is club Pulsatilla champion
PAUL Thomson claimed Royston Golf Club s long standing Pulsatilla Cup following an impressive weekend of golf. The popular 36-hole handicap competition has been running for the past 75 years, and as usual, was dominated by the lower handicapers. And it
PAUL Thomson claimed Royston Golf Club's long standing Pulsatilla Cup following an impressive weekend of golf.
The popular 36-hole handicap competition has been running for the past 75 years, and as usual, was dominated by the lower handicapers.
And it was Thomson 73 (nett 67) and Chris Watson 70 (nett 67) who led the way on Saturday, closely followed by Barry Buckerfield 76 (nett 68).
On Sunday the pressure started to tell on some of the ealry leaders, as other contenders emerged from the chasing pack, with both Buckerfield and Watson slipping back in pursuit.
And in their place David Neale came to the fore and improved on his 75 with a 67 for a 142 lead, with Peter Prentive close behind with 143, before Darren Dawson improved on his 73 with a 67 for 140, at one point looking the likely winner.
Thomson started his round with a 3-over-par 8 on the first hole.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 3 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 4 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 5 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 6 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 7 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
- 8 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
- 9 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 10 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
He finished with two birdies, a par, and a double bogie over the last four holes for a 76 (nett 70) which secured him a winning 137.
The club also ran an 18-hole stableford which was won by James Sandford with 38 points, with John Davidson second on 37, and Glen Bowles third with 36.