There’s no stopping four-goal Holt

Milton A 1 Steeple Morden 5 STEEPLE Morden progressed to the next round of the John Ablett Cup with a comfortable win, courtesy of Ben Holt s four-goal salvo. And the in-form striker only needed four minutes to get his side on track when he lifted

Milton A 1 Steeple Morden 5

STEEPLE Morden progressed to the next round of the John Ablett Cup with a comfortable win, courtesy of Ben Holt's four-goal salvo.

And the in-form striker only needed four minutes to get his side on track when he lifted the ball over the Milton keeper after an intelligent through ball from Steeple skipper Charlie Prothero.

And their lead was soon doubled when Holt cut in from the left and unleashed a powerful shot that left the home side's keeper with very little chance.

However, after an explosive start Steeple struggled to maintain the tempo, despite debutant Martyn Lees going close.

But they were soon back to winning ways when Dom Holt lost his marker with an exquisite turn and supplied a perfect pass for his brother Ben who lobbed the keeper to complete his third consecutive hat-trick.

Most Read

In the second half Steeple again started the brighter, and a fine move involving Martin Donald and the Holt brothers ended with Dom Holt's 20 yard effort going in off the bar.

However, their momentum was soon shaken when they lost Jamie Murphy to injury and with that Milton nipped in and scored a consolation.

But Steeple soon restored their four-goal advantage when Holt grabbed his fourth following a great knock down from Andy Smith.

In the closing stages the Steeple substitutes came close to increasing the lead further when Graham Collins' athletic volley hit the bar and Karl Parr fired the rebound wide.

While not at their best, Steeple progressed once more and look to put together another good cup run.

- Steeple Morden Reserves' cup dreams are over after a disappointing 5-1 defeat at Ambassadors. Damian Pennell scored Steeple's consolation with a well-taken strike.

JM Sports 6 Steeple Bumpstead 0

JM Sports continued their promising start to the season and remain unbeaten after a comprehensive 6-0 win against Steeple Bumpstead.

The Royston side are now unbeaten in their last 22 games, and with Paul Murray returning to the centre of defence, they look even stronger.

They went ahead after just 10 minutes on Saturday, when goal poacher Peter Leete swooped in to finish John Moulding's spilled strike.

The hosts then made it 2-0 minutes later when Murray's cross from the right was headed home by Leete with JM going into the break in a confident mood.

However, manager Adam Foster demanded more goals, and veteran striker Leete did just that when he fired in his hat-trick after some good play by Mark Poulter.

Not to be outdone in front of goal, strike partner Curtis Irish then made it four when his sharp turn of pace on the half way line left his marker for dead. And leaving the Steeple defence flat footed, Irish raced away and rounded the visiting keeper in style.

And with the football flowing, JM increased the pressure and soon had goal number five when Eugene Nymande fired home the goal of the game with a fantastic 25-yard strike.

Leete and Irish both missed glorious chances to increase the JM lead, before Jason Nash completed the rout with five minutes remaining with a powerful strike that left the Steeple keeper stranded.

Gamlingay Utd 3 Great Chishill 0

GREAT Chishill went down by three goals for the second week running - this time at the hands of BIS Division 2A leaders Gamlingay United.

A depleted Chishill side started the game, with a completely new back four in front of keeper Ian Gallagher. So it was no surprise that the league's top scorers opened the account with a powerful header inside 15 minutes.

However, Chishill's makeshift defence put up a brave battle and held the strong Gamlingay attack at bay for the majority of the half.

But then disaster struck as the hosts' momentum proved too much, and as a result they grabbed a quick goal before the half-time whistle. At the other end Chishill threatened with their own chances, with one Steve McGee effort ruled out for offside.

In the second half, the new centre-back pairing of Jamie Lombardi and James Bennett continued to work hard, with Gallagher on fine form with a couple of great saves.

And the visitors looked like they had been given a lifeline when McGee found the back of the net for a second time, but just like his previous chance the goal was disallowed.

Gamlingay then put any Chishill comeback out of sight when they headed home a free kick in the closing minutes. Late substitute Tom Fagg almost snatched a late consolation in the closing minutes but his shot seemingly lacked the power.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter