The Flying Pig reach quarter-finals
FLYING Pig are into the quarter-final of the Royston Scaffolding & Roofing Cup after a 3-2 triumph over Division One’s Brinkley Red Lion before Christmas.
The game was a good test to see how far the Cambridge Sunday Football League Division Two B outfit have come this season.
The Pig started much the brighter team and dominated the game in the first 25 minutes with several good attacks going just wide or clear of the line.
However, it was the Brinkley Red Lion who broke the deadlock first when they broke through the Pig’s defence to slot past the keeper.
This sparked Brinkley into life, as the Pig struggled to take control.
You may also want to watch:
That was until Brett Hammand made it 1-1 with quite a stunning shot from the halfway line as the Brinkley goalkeeper was way off his line.
The second half started at a frantic pace as both sides chased the lead.
- 1 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 2 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 5 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 6 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 7 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 8 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 9 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 10 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
It was Wayne Blows who tapped in from six yards for The Flying Pig to take a 2-1 lead after 10 minutes.
However, this lead didn’t last long.
Brinkley’s very next attack resulted in a corner and an own goal by the Pig’s defence as they struggled to deal with the inswinging corner.
With both sides battling hard to win the game and time running out, the game looked certain to head into extra-time.
But, with Brinkley’s defence unable to clear a blistering shot from Dale Clark and with a goalmouth scramble the ball broke kindly for Aaron Cierzo on the edge of the box.
He smashed it high into the corner of the net to give The Flying Pig the victory.