The Flying Pig reach quarter-finals
FLYING Pig are into the quarter-final of the Royston Scaffolding & Roofing Cup after a 3-2 triumph over Division One’s Brinkley Red Lion before Christmas.
The game was a good test to see how far the Cambridge Sunday Football League Division Two B outfit have come this season.
The Pig started much the brighter team and dominated the game in the first 25 minutes with several good attacks going just wide or clear of the line.
However, it was the Brinkley Red Lion who broke the deadlock first when they broke through the Pig’s defence to slot past the keeper.
This sparked Brinkley into life, as the Pig struggled to take control.
That was until Brett Hammand made it 1-1 with quite a stunning shot from the halfway line as the Brinkley goalkeeper was way off his line.
The second half started at a frantic pace as both sides chased the lead.
- 1 Owner elated as cat returns after going missing for 11 years
- 2 Melbourn Bowls Club celebrates centenary
- 3 Street Food Heroes return to Royston
- 4 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 5 Life-saving defibrillator donated to Melbourn Bowls Club
- 6 A-level results 2022: What should my next steps be?
- 7 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 8 World Photography Day: Herts & Middlesex Wildlife Trust launches third Wild Snaps competition
- 9 Which Thameslink trains are running during the RMT strike?
- 10 Last-ball victory keeps Reed on the rise up the Championship
It was Wayne Blows who tapped in from six yards for The Flying Pig to take a 2-1 lead after 10 minutes.
However, this lead didn’t last long.
Brinkley’s very next attack resulted in a corner and an own goal by the Pig’s defence as they struggled to deal with the inswinging corner.
With both sides battling hard to win the game and time running out, the game looked certain to head into extra-time.
But, with Brinkley’s defence unable to clear a blistering shot from Dale Clark and with a goalmouth scramble the ball broke kindly for Aaron Cierzo on the edge of the box.
He smashed it high into the corner of the net to give The Flying Pig the victory.