The Flying Pig reach quarter-finals
FLYING Pig are into the quarter-final of the Royston Scaffolding & Roofing Cup after a 3-2 triumph over Division One’s Brinkley Red Lion before Christmas.
The game was a good test to see how far the Cambridge Sunday Football League Division Two B outfit have come this season.
The Pig started much the brighter team and dominated the game in the first 25 minutes with several good attacks going just wide or clear of the line.
However, it was the Brinkley Red Lion who broke the deadlock first when they broke through the Pig’s defence to slot past the keeper.
This sparked Brinkley into life, as the Pig struggled to take control.
You may also want to watch:
That was until Brett Hammand made it 1-1 with quite a stunning shot from the halfway line as the Brinkley goalkeeper was way off his line.
The second half started at a frantic pace as both sides chased the lead.
- 1 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 2 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 4 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 5 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 6 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 7 Could you help preserve ponds in Reed?
- 8 Agricultural expert 'over the moon' with MBE
- 9 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM
- 10 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
It was Wayne Blows who tapped in from six yards for The Flying Pig to take a 2-1 lead after 10 minutes.
However, this lead didn’t last long.
Brinkley’s very next attack resulted in a corner and an own goal by the Pig’s defence as they struggled to deal with the inswinging corner.
With both sides battling hard to win the game and time running out, the game looked certain to head into extra-time.
But, with Brinkley’s defence unable to clear a blistering shot from Dale Clark and with a goalmouth scramble the ball broke kindly for Aaron Cierzo on the edge of the box.
He smashed it high into the corner of the net to give The Flying Pig the victory.