That’s better, says Attfield after cup win

Buntingford Town 4 Eliott Star 2 PAUL Attfield was delighted after his side bounced back from last week s dismal display to progress to the league cup quarter final. I got exactly the reaction I wanted after last week s showing he said. Most of the p

Buntingford Town 4

Eliott Star 2

PAUL Attfield was delighted after his side bounced back from last week's dismal display to progress to the league cup quarter final.

"I got exactly the reaction I wanted after last week's showing" he said.

"Most of the players were due that performance and everything pretty much just clicked into shape and gear throughout.

"We haven't been scoring that many goals lately so to score four was pleasing but we played good football throughout and must try and be consistent over the next few games to gain some much needed points."

Most Read

The victory sets up an intriguing visit to league leaders Hadley.

In the early stages Mark Wright brought two fine saves from the home keeper, while Tom Malins shot over.

The visitors, though, played their part in this entertaining game and Neil Burrows broke free on goal on four minutes but Damion Williamson raced from his line to block well.

Town took the lead in the ninth minute with Mark Wright heading home a Luke Robins corner six yards out.

The hosts took a good grip on the game continuing to play some fine football with wingers Luke Robins and Malins delivering many crosses that kept the visiting defensive unit under pressure.

From another set play from the right on 23 minutes Duncan Easley fired a loose ball over and continued pressure paid off with a second goal in the 32nd minute.

Malins picked up a loose ball in midfield and with the home side showing little intent to shut down he was able to race into the box and cutely lob the advancing keeper.

Wright missed a couple of chances to kill the game off completely before half time but just two minutes after the re-start they did score a third when neat build up play down the right ended with Matt Turl crossing for Ashley Townsend to volley home from 12 yards.

The visitors swiftly changed their formation opting for a three player front line and with Town just dropping into a 'comfort zone' period of play the lead was reduced on 55 minutes.

A simple left wing cross was mis-kicked by Robins with the ball falling to Ross Marle to fire high into the net from eight yards.

This injected more life into Town's game as they sought back the tempo and initiative and Wright again mis-kicked twice in front of goal with clear opportunities before he completed Town's scoring on 69 minutes.

Picking up a loose ball 30 yards from goal he hit a fierce hopeful shot that squirmed through the keeper's grasp and over the line.

Star completed the game's scoring on 84 minutes with an excellent strike from 20 yards despite Jamie Babbage being clearly fouled attempting to clear but the home side richly deserved their victory.

Town: D Williamson, D Easley (M Roach), D Chaffey, D Cain, J Babbage, M Turl, M Smith, T Malins, A Townsend (G Christie), M Wright, L Robins (J Stephens) Unused subs: W Turl, J Morriss

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter