Tennis starlet Georgie Stoop set for Wimbledon adventure
BRITISH tennis star Georgie Stoop takes on world number seven Vera Zvonareva in the first round at Wimbledon today (Monday). The 21-year-old from Great Chishill was handed a wildcard for the main draw at the All England Club and will face the Russian on c
BRITISH tennis star Georgie Stoop takes on world number seven Vera Zvonareva in the first round at Wimbledon today (Monday).
The 21-year-old from Great Chishill was handed a wildcard for the main draw at the All England Club and will face the Russian on court four this evening.
Ranked 187 in the world, Stoop lost in the first round of the AEGON Classic at Edgbaston last week to Brit Elena Baltacha but will be hoping lady luck is on her side when she takes to the court in front of a patriotic crowd.
In addition to the singles draw, the British number five can expect to make plenty of headlines during the next fortnight as she will also be competing in the women's doubles alongside British teenage tennis sensation Laura Robson.
You may also want to watch:
Stoop appeared at in the doubles' event at Wimbeldon last year where she went out in the first round with partner Anna Smith, but is hopeful for a more successful run this time around.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
- 6 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 9 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 10 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés