Tennis starlet Georgie Stoop set for Wimbledon adventure
BRITISH tennis star Georgie Stoop takes on world number seven Vera Zvonareva in the first round at Wimbledon today (Monday). The 21-year-old from Great Chishill was handed a wildcard for the main draw at the All England Club and will face the Russian on c
BRITISH tennis star Georgie Stoop takes on world number seven Vera Zvonareva in the first round at Wimbledon today (Monday).
The 21-year-old from Great Chishill was handed a wildcard for the main draw at the All England Club and will face the Russian on court four this evening.
Ranked 187 in the world, Stoop lost in the first round of the AEGON Classic at Edgbaston last week to Brit Elena Baltacha but will be hoping lady luck is on her side when she takes to the court in front of a patriotic crowd.
In addition to the singles draw, the British number five can expect to make plenty of headlines during the next fortnight as she will also be competing in the women's doubles alongside British teenage tennis sensation Laura Robson.
You may also want to watch:
Stoop appeared at in the doubles' event at Wimbeldon last year where she went out in the first round with partner Anna Smith, but is hopeful for a more successful run this time around.
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 3 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Labour organiser criticises Labour mayor for hiring a Tory as deputy
- 5 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 6 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 7 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 8 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 9 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
- 10 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department