Tennis: Royston keep promotion chances alive
Royston Tennis Club’s men’s first hopes of promotion to Division One remain alive after a third win in four matches.
The team of Andy Holmes, Lee Rogers, Douglas Coton and Alex Gooding beat Buckden 1sts 6-2.
The 2nds are unbeaten so far this season and remain top of Division Four. The team of Rupert Matthews, Richard Fosbeary, Nathan O’Looney and Matt Leverage beat Fulbourn 1sts 7-1. And then, Matthews, Ben Place, Ollie Toogood and Nathan O’Looney recorded a 6-2 win over Cambridge 5ths.
The 3rds are also unbeaten this season, recording three victories in the last two weeks. The team of John Holmes, David Addison, Russell Hollingshead and Doug Higgins won 6-2 against David Lloyd 4ths. This was followed by a 7-1 victory against Comberton 1sts – the players were Mike Fellingham, Erwin Phillips, Higgins and Holmes.
The team of Phillips, Ross Agnew, Addison and Hollingshead then beat Saffron Walden 7 - 1. The team remains top of Division Eight and with just two matches remaining.
The men’s fourth team have performed very strongly this season. In their recent matches, they beat Saffron Walden 5ths 7-1, Girton 1sts 5-3 and Great Shelford 8ths 6-2. Players were Mat Leverage, Mark Mitchell, Pete Christmas, Adrian Barnard, Tony Woods, Ross Agnew, Ian Musgrove and Roger Maybury.
The ladies first team of Pru Burton, Helen Carnaghan, Christine Knight and Della Gibson beat Saffron Walden 6-2.
- 1 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 2 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 3 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 4 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 5 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 6 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 7 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 8 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 9 Fine issued after rubbish fly-tipped in country lane
- 10 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
The Ladies second team of Annabel Barrett, Emma Windred, Jen Townsend and Helen Carnaghan beat Papworth 1sts 8-0. The match was closer than the final score suggests, with three of the sets going to 7-5.
In their next match, the team of Sally Muddiman, Helen Carnaghan, Annabel Barrett and Emma Windred had another 8-0 win against Cambridge 5ths.
The ladies third team, playing in Division 6, lost to Fulbourn 6-2. Royston’s players were Yvonne Rogers, Ann Smith, Kathryn Robinson and Ros Godward.
The Club welcomes new members and operates a full LTA tennis program of coaching, matches and tournaments for mini, junior adult and veteran players of all abilities. For further information, visit www.roystontennis.co.uk