Ten-man Crows beat Barking in FA Vase

Kaan Fehmi penalty seals Royston’s spot in second round

Barking 0

Royston Town 1

FA Vase First Round

AN INJURY-hit Royston Town booked their place in the second round of the FA Vase with a narrow win against Barking on Saturday.

Kaan Fehmi’s ninth minute penalty proved the difference between the two sides, as Paul Attfield’s depleted squad were forced to produce a resolute defensive display in Essex, especially after Martin Standen’s sending off for a second yellow card with 35 minutes left on the clock.

Barking started on the front foot and Royston had to be at their best to keep them out through a spell of aerial bombardment in the Crows’ penalty area.

Most Read

With Barking committing plenty of players in attack, the Crows had chances to hit back on the counter attack and with their first positive venture forward in the ninth minute they were awarded a penalty. Neat passing down the right between Tom Malins and Kaan Fehmi created space and a quick burst of pace into the box with the ball from Dalton O’Brien saw him upended with Kaan Fehmi scoring the resulting spot kick.

This gave Royston confidence and they went on to dominate the remainder of the first half. Ricky Young and Malins were particularly threatening in wide positions and good chances were created to extend the lead. Malins volleyed Young’s cross over the bar from eight yards out while O’Brien’s close-range effort was superbly blocked by the home goalkeeper following a fine team move.

With Royston unable to add to their single-goal tally before the interval, it was clear they were in need of a strong start to the second half and, despite starting well, they were rocked by Martin Standen’s sending off following a clumsy challenge in the 65th minute.

The Crows continued with a compact 4-4-1 formation and looked well organised and determined in everything they did. And while the home side had plenty of the ball, they struggled to create clear-cut openings.

They may have felt a little aggrieved not to have had their own penalty when a forward went down under Grinham’s challenge, only for Barking appeals to fall on deaf ears.

A late onslaught from the home team, a number of corners and seven minutes added time were all weathered by the visitors as they saw out the tie and booked their place in the next round.

Royston Town: Norriss, Grinham, Beck, McGrandles, Bradshaw, Martin Standen, Edwards, Malins, K Fehmi (Redford), O’Brien, Young.