Ten and counting for super Chishill
Eaton Socon A 3 Great Chishill 4 CHISHILL scraped three points from what should have been another comfortable victory. Once again, they were out of the blocks like greyhounds, and could have been two goals up in the first five minutes, first Elliot Drury
Eaton Socon A 3 Great Chishill 4
CHISHILL scraped three points from what should have been another comfortable victory.
Once again, they were out of the blocks like greyhounds, and could have been two goals up in the first five minutes, first Elliot Drury hit a post, before the keeper saved well from Steve McGee.
The visiors were playing their best football of the season so far, and deservedly took the lead when Drury dribbled through the defence to score a fine opening goal. They quickly doubled the lead when Nick Bramwell sent in a deep cross from the left, and Oli Fitzgerald chested down before hitting a fine volley into the roof of the net.
You may also want to watch:
At this stage, a cricket score looked likely, as Eaton had so far not registered a single shot on goal.
But an excellent free-kick after half an hour brought them back into the game.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 4 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 5 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 6 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony
- 7 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 8 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 9 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 10 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
The goal had come against the run of play and normal service was resumed just before half time when Gareth Edey curled a shot into the top corner from the edge of the box.
Soon after the break, the points looked to have been secured, when Jonathan Drury bundled in Fitzgerald's cross from the right.
After that, the hosts really lifted their game and played with great fighting spirit, and the visitors could not get their passing game going as they had done in the first, although Steve McGee was denied a clear penalty when he was tripped from behind in the box.
A tense final few minutes were created for Chishill, when Eaton scored with a free header, and a scrambled effort that barely crossed the line made it 4-3, but Chishill held on.
Despite the poor second half performance, the team were in high spirits after the game, as they recorded their 10th straight win.
Chishill: Gallagher; Jackson, Gardiner, Manning, Bramwell; Fitzgerald, Edey, Tyler, E Drury; McGee, J Drury