Teamwork the key for Ashwell
There was joy for Ashwell, who were crowned Cambs Junior League Division Two champions after beating Steeple Morden. Vice captain Jonathan Merrell said: We were always confident we could do well this year after coming second last time round. We ve got a
There was joy for Ashwell, who were crowned Cambs Junior League Division Two champions after beating Steeple Morden.
Vice captain Jonathan Merrell said: "We were always confident we could do well this year after coming second last time round. We've got a strong side and everyone contributed to our title.
"Tim Moynihan has been very influential as captain, getting us organised and making sure everyone is available. Gary Simmons has had a great season too, taking 20 wickets at eight apiece and averaging over 50 with the bat."
Merrell joked: "Maybe we will organise an open-top bus tour of Ashwell to celebrate!"
nBuntingford second team clinched the Herts and Essex Cricket League Division Six title by beating Matching Green.
Skipper Colin Chambers says he expects his side to cope with promotion to division five comfortably.
- 1 Fine issued after rubbish fly-tipped in country lane
- 2 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 3 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 4 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 5 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 6 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 7 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 8 MPs remain silent on whether they have confidence in PM
- 9 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 10 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
He said: "It's not a huge step up and I think we'll hold our own.
"There are a few quality teams there but we should be more than a match for them.
"It's been a real team effort this season, but two players who have performed particularly well are Steve Baker and John Clements, who scored a century on Saturday.