Teamwork the key for Ashwell
There was joy for Ashwell, who were crowned Cambs Junior League Division Two champions after beating Steeple Morden. Vice captain Jonathan Merrell said: We were always confident we could do well this year after coming second last time round. We ve got a
There was joy for Ashwell, who were crowned Cambs Junior League Division Two champions after beating Steeple Morden.
Vice captain Jonathan Merrell said: "We were always confident we could do well this year after coming second last time round. We've got a strong side and everyone contributed to our title.
"Tim Moynihan has been very influential as captain, getting us organised and making sure everyone is available. Gary Simmons has had a great season too, taking 20 wickets at eight apiece and averaging over 50 with the bat."
Merrell joked: "Maybe we will organise an open-top bus tour of Ashwell to celebrate!"
nBuntingford second team clinched the Herts and Essex Cricket League Division Six title by beating Matching Green.
Skipper Colin Chambers says he expects his side to cope with promotion to division five comfortably.
- 1 Firefighters tackle large blaze in field in Guilden Morden
- 2 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 3 Herts' 'league of extraordinary farmers' come together to fight field fires
- 4 Author AJ Campbell to publish fourth novel
- 5 Let's go fly a kite as festival returns after two years
- 6 Melbourn's Dan Goodfellow hails 'extra-special' Commonwealth gold
- 7 9 things to do on a day trip to Hitchin, Hertfordshire
- 8 Residents concerned 140 homes plan could cause 'ecological catastrophe'
- 9 Cambridge Country Show returns with something for all the family
- 10 Royston Kite Festival expected to attract thousands
He said: "It's not a huge step up and I think we'll hold our own.
"There are a few quality teams there but we should be more than a match for them.
"It's been a real team effort this season, but two players who have performed particularly well are Steve Baker and John Clements, who scored a century on Saturday.