Talented youngsters receive county call-up
TWO members of the Royston Crows Athletics Club have been selected to represent their counties at the National Inter-counties finals in March. Under-13 runner Emma Calder has been picked for the Hertfordshire squad after an impressive showing at the Hert
TWO members of the Royston Crows Athletics Club have been selected to represent their counties at the National Inter-counties finals in March.
Under-13 runner Emma Calder has been picked for the Hertfordshire squad after an impressive showing at the Herts Cross Country Championship, where she raced to 10th place.
And in the Cambridgeshire county under-13 section, Sophie Jones finished sixth in another brilliant run that led to her selection for the Cambs squad.
It was a successful weekend of racing for the young Crows, with Ellen Annets and Josie Pearson finishing 27th and 28th respectively in the girls under-11 race.
Gus Rees and Robbie Filby had exceptional races in the boy's category, finishing in ninth and 17th place.
Rebecca O'Sullivan also did well in the girls' under-13 race, finishing 23rd, while in the under-15 section Clare Woods and Peter Allen finished 16th and 22nd respectively.
- 1 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 2 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 3 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 4 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 5 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 6 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 7 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 8 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 9 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 10 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
Joe Maude was 14th in the boys' under-13s, while under-17 runner Toby Hone just missed out on county selection, finishing in 11th place.
Coach Wendy Gaisford said: "Emma and Sophie are really excited about being picked to represent their counties.
"They are both very talented and highly motivated, and I feel with the right encouragement and coaching that they could do very well in the sport.
"They are only 11, and this will be their first time at a large event, and I'm sure it will be very exciting for them."
Sophie said: "I'm really excited about being selected to run for my county. It will be a good experience, and hopefully I can run really well."
Wendy said: "Our aim at the club is to provide an environment to help youngsters achieve their goals and also to encourage children who just want to enjoy running and being active.
"It is also very pleasing for the coaches to see our youngsters doing well, and it encourages us to continue and develop our roles as coaches."
# The Royston Crows welcome youngsters between the age of nine and 16.
For more information visit the Royston Crows section on the Royston Runners website at www.royston-runners.org.uk or contact Wendy Jones on 07967 459577 or Chris Maxwell on 07917 334762.