Table tennis - Manley returns
ROYSTON approached the start of their new North Herts Table Tennis Association season determined to improve on last season s poor results. Buoyed by the return of John Manley after a two-year absence, and with the recruitment of several experienced new p
ROYSTON approached the start of their new North Herts Table Tennis Association season determined to improve on last season's poor results.
Buoyed by the return of John Manley after a two-year absence, and with the recruitment of several experienced new players, the club is once again able to run five teams.
A league re-shuffle has seen the club's A and B teams avoid relegation, and with a number of impressive wins this week, their season looks promising.
In the Premier Division John Madley, Dave Bridger, and Simon Cockman earned Royston a 5-5 draw with Broadway Le Roc, while in Division One the B team achieved similar success.
Alf Mills and Mike Malone won two singles matches as well as the doubles.
The C team opened their campaign with a 6-4 victory over Bedwell F, thanks to two singles each from Terry Bailey and Haydn Gowan, and a single from Gordon Barnes.
- 1 Fine issued after rubbish fly-tipped in country lane
- 2 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 3 MPs remain silent on whether they have confidence in PM
- 4 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 5 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 6 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 7 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 8 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 9 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 10 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
Barnes and Gowan combined to secure more points in the doubles.
Elsewhere, the E team won their Division Three fixture against LABB B, with Barry Sharp winning his three singles matches.
He was well supported by two wins apiece by teenager Nathan Hutchings and new recruit Elaine Hanworth in a 7-3 Royston victory.