Superb season finish for Tomlinson
- Credit: Archant
Sam Tomlinson was delighted to finish as runner-up in the BARC Mighty Mini championship in his debut full-season.
The Royston racer took a win in the last round of the championship at Castle Combe, but could not catch overall winner Greg Jenkins.
Tomlinson said: “It my first full season of racing, to finish second is a great achievement, but none of this would have been possible without my sponsors Skip Uk and Camclad steelworks.
“With three wins, five second places, a third and two pole positions it really has been a dream.
“Next year we have had a few offers which is great so we will decide in the next few weeks where we go and start testing over the winter period.”
After qualifying in wet greasy conditions at Castle Combe, Tomlinson was happy to lie in second place with Jenkins down in fourth.
With 19 points to gain over the weekend it was a big ask, but a confident start none the less.
- 1 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 3 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 4 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 5 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 6 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 7 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 8 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 9 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'
- 10 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
Race one started superbly for Tomlinson in the Skip UK mini.
He took an early lead which was held to the last lap where he was overtaken in the draft by eventual winner Jenkins, finishing one 10th behind. He also recorded the fastest lap which gave him an additional two points.
Race two saw Tomlinson start in seventh with the reverse grid.
By the end of lap one he made his way to third and soon worked his way to the lead where he stayed to the end.
With four minutes left a red flag saw the race grind to a close with Tomlinson named the eventual winner.
Although his efforts weren’t quite enough to win the championship, it was a great weekend overall and a great season for Tomlinson to finish second overall.