Superb season finish for Tomlinson
- Credit: Archant
Sam Tomlinson was delighted to finish as runner-up in the BARC Mighty Mini championship in his debut full-season.
The Royston racer took a win in the last round of the championship at Castle Combe, but could not catch overall winner Greg Jenkins.
Tomlinson said: “It my first full season of racing, to finish second is a great achievement, but none of this would have been possible without my sponsors Skip Uk and Camclad steelworks.
“With three wins, five second places, a third and two pole positions it really has been a dream.
“Next year we have had a few offers which is great so we will decide in the next few weeks where we go and start testing over the winter period.”
You may also want to watch:
After qualifying in wet greasy conditions at Castle Combe, Tomlinson was happy to lie in second place with Jenkins down in fourth.
With 19 points to gain over the weekend it was a big ask, but a confident start none the less.
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 3 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 4 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Agricultural expert 'over the moon' with MBE
- 6 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 7 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 8 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 9 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 10 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
Race one started superbly for Tomlinson in the Skip UK mini.
He took an early lead which was held to the last lap where he was overtaken in the draft by eventual winner Jenkins, finishing one 10th behind. He also recorded the fastest lap which gave him an additional two points.
Race two saw Tomlinson start in seventh with the reverse grid.
By the end of lap one he made his way to third and soon worked his way to the lead where he stayed to the end.
With four minutes left a red flag saw the race grind to a close with Tomlinson named the eventual winner.
Although his efforts weren’t quite enough to win the championship, it was a great weekend overall and a great season for Tomlinson to finish second overall.