Super Gran takes European triathlon by storm
- Credit: Archant
A Melbourn lady in her 60s has powered to 11th within her age category at the European Sprint Triathlon in Geneva, Switzerland.
The feat is made all the more amazing by the fact that Annette Herdman, 65, only participated in her first triathlon just three years ago.
Mother of four and grandmother to nine, Annette said: “My daughter Jane persuaded me to take part in the London Triathlon in 2011 as an alternative to ultra races and I have loved ever minute since.
“To qualify for the GB age group team and take part was an incredible experience.”
Before her triathlon exploits, Annette decided to challenge herself by entering the Marathon des Sables, an ultra-marathon covering 156 miles of the Sahara Desert in just six days. It is considered one of the toughest foot races on the planet.
You may also want to watch:
One of her other daughters, Laura said: “My Mum is inspirational and has also been a positive role model for her grandchildren, with one even completing his own triathlon at age eight. She deserves every accolade there is.”
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 3 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 4 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 5 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange