Summer League provides win for Royston Tennis Club
- Credit: Getty Images/Comstock Images
Royston Tennis Club men’s teams got off to a tremendous start in the Cambridgshire Summer League, winning seven of their nine matches so far.
The first team, who topped Division 1 last season, had a tough opener against Cambridge and lost 8-0.
In their next match, against Saffron Walden, Royston won the first set before their opponents conceded due to one of their players suffering an injury.
In Division 3, the 2nds - Ross Agnew, Douglas Coton, Toby Jackson and Jeremy Tuck - made up for the first team’s loss by beating Buckden 8-0, and then, Cocks and Hens 2nds 5-3.
The 3rd team, in Division 7, also experienced a winning start to the season. They beat Great Staughton’s first team 5-3, dropping only one set in a nail-biting tie-break to overcome Great Shelford 6ths.
You may also want to watch:
Royston 4ths beat Huntingdon 4ths 6-2.
In Division 11, Royston 5ths had a real battle on their hands against Soham 2nds, but prevailed 5-3.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 3 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 4 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 5 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 6 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford
- 7 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 8 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 9 Hallmark Trophy decided in close-run contest at Heydon Grange Golf Club
- 10 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
Royston’s ladies’ 1st and 3rd teams lost their respective matches, but the 2nds managed a draw at Histon 1sts in Division 3.