Summer League provides win for Royston Tennis Club
- Credit: Getty Images/Comstock Images
Royston Tennis Club men’s teams got off to a tremendous start in the Cambridgshire Summer League, winning seven of their nine matches so far.
The first team, who topped Division 1 last season, had a tough opener against Cambridge and lost 8-0.
In their next match, against Saffron Walden, Royston won the first set before their opponents conceded due to one of their players suffering an injury.
In Division 3, the 2nds - Ross Agnew, Douglas Coton, Toby Jackson and Jeremy Tuck - made up for the first team’s loss by beating Buckden 8-0, and then, Cocks and Hens 2nds 5-3.
The 3rd team, in Division 7, also experienced a winning start to the season. They beat Great Staughton’s first team 5-3, dropping only one set in a nail-biting tie-break to overcome Great Shelford 6ths.
Royston 4ths beat Huntingdon 4ths 6-2.
In Division 11, Royston 5ths had a real battle on their hands against Soham 2nds, but prevailed 5-3.
- 1 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 2 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 3 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 4 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 5 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 6 Meet the couple who won holidays by the sea for a year
- 7 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 8 Former heavyweight boxing champ to support hospice with charity dinner
- 9 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 10 'We must learn to live with Covid' says health secretary on Plan B's end
Royston’s ladies’ 1st and 3rd teams lost their respective matches, but the 2nds managed a draw at Histon 1sts in Division 3.