Successful pair take Royston Tennis Club’s Christine Knight Trophy
- Credit: Archant
Helen Hastings and Mike James prevailed over Sarah Shoard and John Hubbard in the final of Royston Tennis Club’s annual Christine Knight Trophy on Friday (December 4).
Twenty-four seniors battled to be crowned champions in this closely-contested tournament played in terrific weather.
With only two pairs, Hastings and James and Shoard and Hubbard, remaining, it was always going to be a tight affair and so it proved.
At two games apiece, Hastings and James took the final game to win the trophies and a bottle of wine each.
Meanwhile, in the Cambridgeshire Winter League, the ladies’ 2nds, consisting of Kathryn Betts, Sally Muddiman, Jen Townsend and Della Gibson beat Saffron Walden 2nds.
You may also want to watch:
They now have a nervous wait for this weekend’s results to see if they have avoided relegation.
The ladies’ 1sts recently finished a fantastic season as the champions of Division Two, earning promotion to the first division for next season. The U8s Mini Reds are also celebrating victory as they won their league after beating Bishop’s Stortford.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 3 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 4 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 5 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
The men’s 4ths suffered their third defeat in a row, this time losing 7-1 against Saffron Walden 2nds.
Royston Tennis Club welcomes new members and operates a full LTA tennis programme of coaching, matches and tournaments for mini, junior, adult and veteran players of all abilities. New members can try a free session and meet the players. All standards are catered for and the club runs coaching courses for all ages and abilities.
For more information, visit www.roystontennis.co.uk. You can also find Royston Tennis Club on Facebook.