Successful pair take Royston Tennis Club’s Christine Knight Trophy
- Credit: Archant
Helen Hastings and Mike James prevailed over Sarah Shoard and John Hubbard in the final of Royston Tennis Club’s annual Christine Knight Trophy on Friday (December 4).
Twenty-four seniors battled to be crowned champions in this closely-contested tournament played in terrific weather.
With only two pairs, Hastings and James and Shoard and Hubbard, remaining, it was always going to be a tight affair and so it proved.
At two games apiece, Hastings and James took the final game to win the trophies and a bottle of wine each.
Meanwhile, in the Cambridgeshire Winter League, the ladies’ 2nds, consisting of Kathryn Betts, Sally Muddiman, Jen Townsend and Della Gibson beat Saffron Walden 2nds.
They now have a nervous wait for this weekend’s results to see if they have avoided relegation.
The ladies’ 1sts recently finished a fantastic season as the champions of Division Two, earning promotion to the first division for next season. The U8s Mini Reds are also celebrating victory as they won their league after beating Bishop’s Stortford.
- 1 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 2 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 3 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 4 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
- 5 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 6 Downing Street and its South Cambs connections
- 7 Two North Herts councillors sent council tax summons
- 8 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 9 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 10 'Simply amazing' - dad's life saved by air ambulance after mystery seizure
The men’s 4ths suffered their third defeat in a row, this time losing 7-1 against Saffron Walden 2nds.
Royston Tennis Club welcomes new members and operates a full LTA tennis programme of coaching, matches and tournaments for mini, junior, adult and veteran players of all abilities. New members can try a free session and meet the players. All standards are catered for and the club runs coaching courses for all ages and abilities.
For more information, visit www.roystontennis.co.uk. You can also find Royston Tennis Club on Facebook.