Success Storey as Panthers arrow in on superb victory

Melbourn Dynamos Panthers under-nines were convincing 5-1 winners over Austen Arrowheads. Although the visitors took an early lead, Melbourn midfielders Izzy Broadbent and Tom Hollway soon took charge of the match, with Hollway and George Storey sharing f

Melbourn Dynamos Panthers under-nines were convincing 5-1 winners over Austen Arrowheads.

Although the visitors took an early lead, Melbourn midfielders Izzy Broadbent and Tom Hollway soon took charge of the match, with Hollway and George Storey sharing four goals to put Melbourn in front 4-1.

After that, Panthers never looked back, and man-of-match Storey went on to complete his hat-trick in the second half.

Luke Eades and Ayrton Barnes both played excellent supporting roles, making some incisive runs that kept Arrowheads on the back foot.

Poor finishing let Melbourn Dynamos Tigers under-nines down as they lost 3-1 at home to Fairlands.

Fairlands were on top for much of the first half, but some timely ­challenges from the defence and a couple of good stops from keeper Josh Hutton kept the score at 0-0.

Most Read

However, the visitors eventually made the breakthrough, scoring twice in quick succession.

Joe Greeman and Connor Patel dominated the midfield for long periods, but weak finishing by a number of teammates let them down, and Fairlands added a third goal on the break. Jack Morley netted a consolation goal from the penalty spot.

Melbourn Dynamos Panthers under-12s are finding it tough in Division One of the league, and despite a dogged display they lost 7-0 to Stevenage Barca at the weekend.

Panthers held out for most of the first half, with keeper Sam Robinson pulling off a string of excellent saves.

However, an unfortunate headed own goal opened the floodgates, and Stevenage were 5-0 up at half-time.

To Melbourn's credit, they stuck to their task, and were unlucky not to pull back at least one goal, with Jack Richardson going close on a couple of occasions.

However Stevenage added two more goals to complete a comfortable victory.

Jack Court was named man of the match for a determined display in the middle of the park.

Buntingford Cougars under-nines faced Baldock Town, and both the Blues and the Whites put in good performances.

The Whites took a 3-0 half time lead thanks to goals from Sam Curran, Paul Briffett and Dane Hyland.

With Olly Pallett running things in midfield, Briffett added a fourth from the penalty spot to take his personal tally to six goals in the last three games and wrap up a 4-0 win.

The Blues were 7-4 winners, thanks in part to a Sam Ward hat-trick. Bradley Reeves and Ryan Peck were also on target, with Jack McMeechan contributing a brace.

McMeechan scored perhaps the pick of the goals with a bullet header.

Cougars under-10s fielded three squads as they hosted Hitchin Town Youth. The Whites were convincing 11-0 winners with goals from Charlie Owen (4), George Woods (3), Reece Fitzgerald (3), and Oliver Tokely, who completed the scoring with a cheeky backheel.

Strikes by Louis Debnam and Jack Caine helped the Blues win a hard- fought 2-0 victory, while the Stripes were unlucky to lose 2-1, with Thomas Ashdown getting the goal.

An entertaining match saw Buntingford Cougars under-13s kept up their winning streak by beating Ashwell.

Six first-half goals saw the teams go in level at the break, 3-3. However, the Cougars had the ­better of the second period, and recorded a narrow 5-4 win. Jonathan Bowell (2), Darren Aldridge (2), and Will Silverosa were the scorers.

Despite dominating the first half, Buntingford Cougars under-14s succumbed 4-1 to Baldock Lancers.

Cougars totally dominated the first half, but by half-time had only a solitary Joe Pemberton goal to show for their efforts.

Baldock levelled early in the second half, and scored three more as Cougars pushed forward looking for the win.

Ashwell under-nines slipped to their first defeat of the season, going down 3-0 to Bishops Stortford.

An even match saw both sides display some high-quality football. Unfortunately Ashwell were unable to take the chances that came their way, while Stortford proved to be clinical in front of goal.

Two Royston Celtic under-10s teams travelled to Sawbridgeworth Juniors, but neither was able to record a victory.

The A team were 2-0 down at half-time despite good displays from Robbie Filby and stand-in keeper Callum Pinner. The second half was quiet, with both teams battling hard, until Lorcan George finally found the net for Celtics.

Sawbridgeworth went straight up the other end and netted a third, before Richard Jonas got Celtic's second.

Meanwhile the B team displayed some good passing, but were no match for their hosts, who raced into a 3-0 first half lead. Ollie Green in the Celtic goal was kept busy throughout, pulling off a number of impressive saves. Although Celtic improved in the second half, they could not prevent Sawbridgeworth getting a fourth goal.

An out-of-sorts display from Royston Town Colts under-13s saw them relinquish their unbeaten record with a 7-4 defeat at home to Stevenage Borough Reds.

A first minute Stevenage goal saw Royston get off to the worst ­possible start, and they also lost defensive lynch-pin Harry Stafford with a nasty ankle injury. Alex Bowyer stepped in to make his debut, but was powerless to ­prevent three more Stevenage goals.

In the second half Stevenage added three further strikes. Royston hit back through Jordan Hall, who registered a hatrick, and Lucas Sekobawane, but their revival came too late to salvage anything from the match.

St Neots Town under-13s came from behind to beat Fairlands Youth 5-3.

Fairlands' direct approach resulted in them taking the lead, but Tonks was on hand to equalise for St Neots. A superb volley from Thorndick put Saints in front, before Tonks added his second and Hayden made it four with a precise lob.

In the second half Tonks completed his hat-trick, before Fairlands pulled back two goals bto give the scoreline a respectable look.

Alex Close scored a spectacular late winner to give Baldock Town Youth under-12s a 3-2 win over Bishop's Stortford Rangers.

Rangers used the sloping pitch to their advantage in the first half, but Baldock full backs Dylan Walsh and Connor Doyle both made headed goal line clearances. By half time, Rangers had take a one goal lead, which was cancelled out by Jordan Massey, who also struck the bar with a free kick.

Skipper Close gave his side the lead with a long-range shot, and got the third with a superb volley from the edge of the box. Stortford pulled one back with a late penalty but Baldock hung on for a deserved victory.