Students' county awards
Four pupils from Edwinstree School have been honoured with awards by the Hertfordshire Swimming Association for their performances at the County Swimming Championship. The Buntingford school had five swimmers taking part, with Sam Vessey, Liam Doonan, M
Four pupils from Edwinstree School have been honoured with awards by the Hertfordshire Swimming Association for their performances at the County Swimming Championship.
The Buntingford school had five swimmers taking part, with Sam Vessey, Liam Doonan, Molly Ewins, and Carina and Christie Bays all in action.
In the 13-year girls event Carina Bays finished in third place overall, having won two golds in the 100m and 200m breaststroke events, one silver, and three bronze medals.
Sister Christie won the 11-year girls event, her third consecutive victory, with the largest haul of gold medals in any championship age group.
You may also want to watch:
Christie swept nine gold and three silver medals out of 15 races. The talented youngster also broke two county records and recorded the fastest UK time for an 11-year-old this year in the 50m breaststroke.
Ewins also impressed in the 11 year girls, taking five bronze medals and a sixth-place finish overall.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 5 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 6 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 7 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 8 Award-winning CADS production at Royston Arts Festival
- 9 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 10 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
Doonan also swept aside the competition in the 11-year boys, with a number of gold medals, while in the 12-year boys' event Sam Vessey just missed out on the medals, but still finished a creditable 14th position overall.
The youngsters helped Edwinstree home as county champions, with Christie, who has already qualified for the UK National Championships, and Carina Bays, Ewins, and Doonan all qualifying for the East Region Swimming Championships at Norwich in June.