Stuart Hunts down first trophy at Royston
STUART Hunt won his first major trophy at Royston Golf Club at the weekend.
The Pulsatilla Cup has been played since 1934 and Hunt stormed through the field on the second day with a sparkling 65 to add to his opening 70 to win the trophy. The 14-handicapper won by one shot from Jason Nolan who also recorded a nett 65 on Sunday.
The leader from Saturday, Adrian Shoebridge, who shot a blistering 64 to edge a shot ahead of Eddie Collins and Eric Baker, saw his chance of winning slip away after taking a 10 at the second hole on Sunday, although he did recover with an excellent back nine of two-under par to take fifth spot.
Third place went to Darren Messenger with consistent rounds of 67 and 70, just ahead of Collins.
Mike Phizacklea returned to winning ways with victory in the single stableford on Sunday. The 19-handicapper recorded a fine score of 39 points for a three-point winning margin over Junior, Olllie Pemberton.
You may also want to watch:
Tony Baker finished third with 35, just ahead of Dave Rowell and Neil Skehel.
The Ladies 12-hole Greensomes played on Thursday evening was won by Sandra Joiner and Linda Lakey (26 points) closely followed by Sarah Buckerfield and Jenny Jarvis.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 3 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 4 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 5 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 6 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford
- 7 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 8 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 9 Hallmark Trophy decided in close-run contest at Heydon Grange Golf Club
- 10 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
The Medal Winners’ final played on Saturday resulted in both Denise Moody and Sandra Williams finishing with a nett 73. There will now have to be a play-off over 18 holes to decide the winner.
The Ladies Scratch Team of Jen McGuigan, Sarah Buckerfield and Jenny Jarvis won away at Ramsey on Sunday to continue a good run of form which should see them promoted.
In other results Paul Thomson beat Adrian Shoebridge to win the Vernon Putting Cup, Bob Hart (37) won the Saturday Stableford while Mel Bradley won the Men’s Thursday Medal with 72.