Strong second-half show sends Colts to fine win

Knebworth Youth Cougars U-10 A 0 Royston Town Colts A 4 A GOOD second half performance saw Colts romp to victory, on Sunday. After a scrappy first half, Colts opened their account with a superbly taken header from a corner by Reece King, glancing the ball

Knebworth Youth Cougars U-10 A 0 Royston Town Colts A 4

A GOOD second half performance saw Colts romp to victory, on Sunday.

After a scrappy first half, Colts opened their account with a superbly taken header from a corner by Reece King, glancing the ball in at the front post.

The goal settled Colts down and they started passing the ball well and applied a lot of pressure on the Cougars goal and scored three more goals in seven minutes.

By this point Matthew Stout and Jordan Campbell were winning most of the balls in midfield and with Richard Jonas and Jack Jefferis flying down the wings were starting to produce some good football.

The second goal came after King slotted a great ball through the heart of the Cougars defence to Jordan Campbell, unfortunately for the defender he slotted the ball into his own net.

Most Read

Campbell scored the third with a fortuitously taken goal, having picked the ball up just inside the Cougars half he volleyed the ball back, the keeper did not time his run right and the ball bounced over his head into the goal.

King completed his brace after a fine ball over the Cougars defence by Stephen Thake, King took the ball under control with his first touch and half volleyed the ball low into the far corner.

- Two goals from Jakes Long and a great strike from Jack Freeman gave Colts' B team a 3-0 win at Knebworth.

Bishops Stortford U-10 A 7

Melbourn A 1

A FINE Indian summer was the most enjoyable aspect to savour from a poor first half that saw Melbourn concede four goals and threaten Stortford's goal just once.

The second half got under way in a more positive manor with some tight passing from Melbourn saw Steven Beattie battle his way through past two defenders and eventually the goalkeeper to slot home a well earned goal.

Melbourn threatened with some sustained pressure seeing the crossbar rattling and a subsequent corner again scrape the bar.

Despite a resurgent Melbourn applying the pressure, it was not to be their day.

A lack of organisation in defence and poor marking resulted in the leaking of a further three goals to end the seasons opener with a disappointing defeat.

n The B team game turned out to be even more one-sided as Stortford ran out 9-0 winners against a six-man Melbourn side.

Royston Town Colts A U-12 3

FC Comets 4

THREE quick breaks and a failed clearance were enough to upset the form book earn the plucky Division Four visitors from Stevenage a victory in this first round League Cup tie.

In a match otherwise dominated by Colts, Comets took the lead early on from a shot from the left trickled agonisingly over the line after Colts defence had failed to clear.

Colts levelled soon after, man-of-the-match, Lucas Sekobawane was first to the loose ball to fire home from the edge of the box.

Royston's Jekyll and Hyde day continued as they blended periods of terrific play with football harikiri in equal measures, allowing a long clearance from Comets' keeper to bounce unchallenged and loop over the despairing John Middlemass into the net to make it 2-1 to the visitors at half-time.

Seconds after the restart, Colts almost levelled, Sekobawane accelerating past the defence only to see his low drive flash inches wide.

Colts continued to press for an equaliser, spreading play and creating a number of excellent chances.

However, another quick break saw Colts fall further behind, Comets first to the rebound after terrific initial save from Middlemass.

The hosts' response was immediate, with two goals in as many minutes forcing it back to 3-2 from an own goal and then levelling after Comet's keeper was unable to stop another fierce drive from Sekobawane.

In the ascendancy and with extra time looming, all seemed well for Colts but it was not to be, never-say-die Comets claiming victory from another quick break to make the final score 4-3 to the visitors.

Hadley Rangers U-11

Baldock Town Youth Templars 7

TEMPLARS moved into the next round of the county cup with a convincing win against Hadley Rangers.

Gray gave Baldock an early lead and Massey added a second 15 minutes later.

Nicholson's darting run into the box brought a late tackle from the Rangers defence and Massey stepped up to score from the resulting penalty.

Foster made a quick break down the left wing and his cross was met by Budd for Baldock's fourth goal.

A similar move brought Baldock's fifth, this time left winger and player of the match Higginson supplying the cross for Budd to score his second. Rangers managed a late first half goal for a 5-1 lead to Baldock at half-time.

Baldock continued where they left off in the second half. Massey turned provider for Rogers to score before a great individual goal from Massey completed his hat-trick.

Rangers managed to pull one back and then put Baldock under some pressure late in the game, but fine saves from Taylor and goal line clearances from Kendle and Foster ensured the victory.

- Bassingbourn Youth under-10 A team failed to kick off the new season with a win.

It was the hosts Stotfold who started more confidently and they soon had Bassingbourn under attack with some inspiring runs down the left flank.

One run resulted in a free kick to Stotfold, which was brilliantly converted leaving Robson without a chance. Although there were signs of good individual play from Bass' they were unable to find the net, Stotfold were able to score two more goals to wrap up 3-0 win.

In comparison the B team continued their good start to the season with a 3-1 victory against Stotfold B's side.

Having been denied twice by the cross bar and missing by inches on both sides of the goal it was a clean strike by Roope from the edge of the box to open up the scoring.

This was followed by a well-worked throw in, which finally got the ball into the feet of Bromilow who drove the ball past the keeper into the back of the net.

Finally, having been denied earlier in the game, Cook finally got his name on the score sheet thanks to his shot being deflected by a Stotfold player into the net.

Hormead Hares U-11 2

Melbourn Dynamos Panthers 4

THIS Herts County Cup game was played in the usual good spirit, with some excellent football being played by both teams.

However it was the away team that broke the deadlock halfway through the first half, when Sam Webb broke free down the left before crossing to Patrick Hopper to finish.

Two quick goals on the break just before half time gave the home team the advantage at half-time.

Substitutions were made by Melbourn, and captain Nathan Henry was pushed into midfield, this made an immediate impact, as Henry slipped the ball to Alex Martin who calmly lobbed the keeper to square the match with 20 minutes' to play.

Melbourn were now in control of the game and whenever the home side tried to break, Billy Halliwell was on hand to deny Hormead any chance of testing keeper Nick Thompson.

Two quality strikes from the creative Byron Lawrence sealed the deserved and well earned win.

Royston Town U-9 A 1 Bassingbourn A 1

BRADLEY Calvert's cracking goal ensured Royston took a share of the spoils, on Saturday.

The hosts faired well under a little pressure from the visiting team, with some superb defending from Jordan Cooney and Alasdair Richardson.

A fine effort from Calvert opened up the game but Bassingbourn levelled just before half time.

Excellent defending from new player Jon Kane made sure Bassingbourn were not going to score again.

A great pass from Rhys Westbury to Robbie Norman, but unfortunately this time the striker was unable to score.

- Town's B team won 3-0 against Bas', with MacKenzie Harris and Jordan Howe among the goals.

St Neots Town U-8 A 1

Royston Town Colts A 1

AFTER a lesson in football the previous week Royston responded well on Saturday with a fantastic game of flowing football.

Royston started the strongest with some great two touch football from Ben Seabrook and Connor Madden.

George Pemberton and Jack Logan worked well down the wings, and it was from such a move that the first goal arrived.

Connor Madden collected the ball from the halfway line passing it out wide to George Pemberton, from there a great cross straight to the feet of Ben Seabrook who tucked it into the corner of the net.

The Saints came back strongly in the second half testing Nathan Harness in goal with save after save.

Charlie Dobson made a goal-line clearance which seemed a goal all the way, but with 10 minutes remaining Royston conceded a corner which was unable to be cleared only to the edge of the area, and a first time shot from a home player whizzed through a crowded area into the goal.

The game finished with some great football only to see it finished a draw.

St Neots Town U-8 B 1

Royston Town Colts B 1

ROYSTON continued playing great football passing and moving, working as a team.

With the visitors working hard in the first half through Mason Barnes, Gareth Byles and Simon Fell in midfield where unable to get the break through in which finished goalless.

Kicking off for the second half St Neots scored in the first five minutes against the run of play, as Sam Hubbard and Max Logan went close to scoring.

The visitors defended brilliantly as St Neots came at them again looking to score a second only to have Bradley Casling in goal saving well.

Tom Harrington, Jack Dobbing and man of the match Ellis Wilkingson defending well.

With five minutes remaining a good clearance found Max Logan who ran into the area only to shoot low pass the advancing keeper to snatch a share of the spoils.