Stortford’s cup run ends Pain-fully

THE under-14 Crusaders made it to the next round of the League Cup. Matthew Pain was on target twice, while Mitchell Tredgett, Ed Potts and Callum Bishop all got their names on the score sheet as the Crusaders completed a 5-3 victory over Bishop s Stortf

THE under-14 Crusaders made it to the next round of the League Cup.

Matthew Pain was on target twice, while Mitchell Tredgett, Ed Potts and Callum Bishop all got their names on the score sheet as the Crusaders completed a 5-3 victory over Bishop's Stortford Athletic.

The under-14 Knights are still unbeaten in 10 Division Four league games and remain top of their league, but it was a close thing against second placed Arlesey Town.

Two first half goals from Jack Fidock and Axel Morris gave the Knights a 2-0 half time advantage, before the home side reduced the deficit early into the second half. Axel Morris added his second to make it 3-1 before another well taken goal by Arlesey pegged it back to 3-2, a score line the Knights managed to hang onto until the final whistle.

It was a good day for the under-15 sides as all three recorded high scoring victories.

A James Farrar hat-trick was the highlight for the Knights as they recorded a close 6-4 win at Bishop's Stortford Rangers. Alex Coppin and Jordan Loftman were also on target for the Knights.

Most Read

Sam Frazer-Bossom recorded the best individual scoring performance of the day as he took his seasons tally to 24 by hitting six goals against Bishop's Stortford. Jordan Fidock and Shaun Hunt added further goals as the Lancers ran out convincing 8-0 winners.

The under-15 Crusaders made it three out of three as goals from John Budd, Jack Cierzo, Chris Harrison, Frank Considine and Max Fletcher gave them a 5-2 victory over Trident Youth.

The under-16 Crusaders found Division One side Stevenage Borough Blues too strong in their League Cup match, slipping to a 4-0 defeat, while a injury weakened under-18 Crusaders were beaten 3-0 at Bishop's Stortford Swifts.

The under-seven A and B sides both put up brave performances against unbeaten Stevenage Borough sides, made up of players training with Arsenal and Tottenham youth academies, and will both have been disappointed to have been defeated 1-0 in games they could have won.

The under-10 Templars and Crusaders had mixed fortunes in their games with Stevenage Borough.

The Templars suffered a rare defeat as a Jonathan Harris goal and an own goal could not prevent Stevenage Reds taking the points with a 4-2 win. The Crusaders had better fortune as two goals each from Daniel Bracken and Christopher Birkett gave them a 4-2 win over Stevenage Thunder.

The under-10 Knights both suffered defeats at Shefford Saints, with the Knights losing 4-0 and the Lancers 4-1 with Kier Boyd getting the goal.

The under-11 Knights found Pin Green too strong in their League Cup match, ending up on the wrong end of a 9-0 score line.

In the league, the under-11 Lancers picked up three excellent points as they beat Albion Youth 4-2.

The under-12 Templars suffered their first defeat of the season as Bishop's Stortford Town ran out 5-1 winners despite a Tom Gornall goal for the home side.

The under-12 Crusaders continued their climb up the Division 3 table with a 2-0 win over Potton, thanks to goals from Richard Ainscough and Toby Harvey.

In the under-13 League Cup, a single goal by Stevenage Colts was enough to see them through to the next round at the expense of the Lancers.

In the league, the under-13 Knights dominated their game against Thaxted Rangers yet still finished up losing as a George Laurence goal could not stop the visitors taking the points with a 2-1 victory.

Knebworth Wildcats U-11 2 Baldock Town Templars 1

A FIGHTING performance could not prevent Templars going out of the league cup against league leaders Wildcats.

Baldock again went behind to an excellent early goal. After saving a couple of long range shots from Knebworth, Templar's keeper Alex Taylor was beaten in the fifth minute by an exquisite chip.

For the first 15 minutes Baldock had to work hard with Same Kendle outstanding alongside Corey Rodgers and Ryan Savage in defence.

The visitors' first attack came from a William Budd pass but Daniel Nicholson hit his shot wide. Then Matthew Judges put Oliver Foster through but this time the Knebworth keeper made a good save.

Budd and Nicholson combined again just before half time to create another chance and this time Knebworth could only clear the ball for a throw in deep in their half.

Judges' long throw was headed on first by Connor Gray and then George Higginson to Connor Doyle who scored at the far post.

Knebworth again dominated the start of the second half but Baldock stuck to their defending well. Having weathered the early onslaught Baldock started to press forward with Gray and Alex Close starting to win some good possession in midfield. Nicholson made a good cross from the right but Judges shot wide and then Foster saw his shot saved after a good run down the left wing.

As Baldock started to press forward Knebworth found space at the other end. Taylor made an excellent save but as the ball bounced out Knebworth ceased the chance to take the lead with eight minutes remaining.

Baldock continued to press hard but for all their effort could not find another equaliser in what proved to be an entertaining game.