Stevenage not strong enough
Baldock Town Knights U-13 3 Stevenage Stripes 1 BALDOCK knew that they were in for a tough game before the match and Stevenage did not disappoint as they started in very strong fashion. Although Baldock s Connan Scahill and Thomas Batt held up against s
Baldock Town Knights U-13 3
Stevenage Stripes 1
BALDOCK knew that they were in for a tough game before the match and Stevenage did not disappoint as they started in very strong fashion.
Although Baldock's Connan Scahill and Thomas Batt held up against some good Stevenage moves, the visitors could count themselves unlucky for not scoring during the early stages.
The Knights, however, managed to hold on and then started to come back into the game.
A good Harry Nelson pass found Charan Basra, whose shot should have put Baldock ahead. This move gave Baldock more conviction and it was the home team who then started to reverse the pressure. Once again Baldock should have taken the lead after George Laurence came very close after finishing a move started by Jamie Cronin.
- 1 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 2 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 3 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 4 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 5 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 6 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 7 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 8 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 9 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 10 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
The ever more dominant Laurence then became the provider for an unmarked Basra who placed the ball inches wide of the post.
The second half started with a strong Stripes side clearly looking to take the advantage and had several strong, goal-bound shots stopped by Baldock's keeper Josh Dobson.
The deadlock was finally broken when a long ball into the area was handled by a Stripes defender. The Referee had no hesitation in giving the Knights a penalty from which Charan Basra coolly converted, giving him his seventh goal of the season.
Baldock took full advantage and a long clearance from the Knights keeper dropped to Jordon Davis whose good control found a running George Laurence who slid the ball past a stranded Stripes keeper to make it 2-0.
Knights did not let up the pressure and looked for a decisive third goal and this came when Charan Basra linked up with the in-form George Laurence, who then struck a magnificent shot into the top left corner of the goal.
Despite being three goals down Stevenage battled hard to try and get back into the game and they pulled a goal back after a rebound from Baldock's keeper Josh Dobson.
Any thoughts that Baldock may have had that Stevenage would be satisfied with a consolation goal were quickly dismissed when Josh Dobson pulled off a truly stunning save to keep the Stripes out. Despite a spirited Stevenage comeback, Baldock's Stevie Scarlino put George Leete through and he was unfortunate not to score.