Steeple lose out to Harston
Harston 1987 3 Steeple Morden 2 STEEPLE Morden missed the opportunity to go second as they were edged out in a fiercely competitive encounter at Harston. The willing running of Ben Holt and Frankie Berry caused problems for the home defence early on, an
Harston 1987 3 Steeple Morden 2
STEEPLE Morden missed the opportunity to go second as they were edged out in a fiercely competitive encounter at Harston.
The willing running of Ben Holt and Frankie Berry caused problems for the home defence early on, and these two combined well to set up Charlie Prothero but he couldn't get enough power on a header to beat the keeper.
Harston went ahead after they scored a hotly disputed free kick past veteran keeper Tim Tiday, but they were soon pegged back when Matt Chapman headed home a cross from 12 yards on the half hour mark.
You may also want to watch:
Steeple could have taken the lead on several occasions but had to wait until the 40 minute mark when Ben Holt latched on to a long Tidey clearance and expertly lobbed the keeper from the edge of the box.
Harston started brightly in the second half and equalised when their right winger carved his way through the Steeple defence and unleashed a vicious drive that Tidey could only parry onto the head of an advancing Harston striker.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 3 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 4 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 5 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 6 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 7 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 8 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 9 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 10 Bloomsday group's post-lockdown gathering to celebrate Joyce novel
Worse was to come for Steeple not long after when their defence were unable to clear a long free kick and the ball fell to a Harston striker who finished confidently.
In Steeple's search for an equaliser Prothero put a couple of headers wide and Chapman went close with a decent effort, but Harston held on for a 3-2 win.
Team: Tidey, Richardson, Donald, Jarman, Watters (Collins), Berry, D Holt, Prothero, Morris (Lees), Chapman, B Holt