Steeple lose out to Harston
Harston 1987 3 Steeple Morden 2 STEEPLE Morden missed the opportunity to go second as they were edged out in a fiercely competitive encounter at Harston. The willing running of Ben Holt and Frankie Berry caused problems for the home defence early on, an
Harston 1987 3 Steeple Morden 2
STEEPLE Morden missed the opportunity to go second as they were edged out in a fiercely competitive encounter at Harston.
The willing running of Ben Holt and Frankie Berry caused problems for the home defence early on, and these two combined well to set up Charlie Prothero but he couldn't get enough power on a header to beat the keeper.
Harston went ahead after they scored a hotly disputed free kick past veteran keeper Tim Tiday, but they were soon pegged back when Matt Chapman headed home a cross from 12 yards on the half hour mark.
You may also want to watch:
Steeple could have taken the lead on several occasions but had to wait until the 40 minute mark when Ben Holt latched on to a long Tidey clearance and expertly lobbed the keeper from the edge of the box.
Harston started brightly in the second half and equalised when their right winger carved his way through the Steeple defence and unleashed a vicious drive that Tidey could only parry onto the head of an advancing Harston striker.
- 1 Ofcom investigation into problem key fobs at Tesco Royston concludes
- 2 Fire-hit parish church secures vital cash boost
- 3 Person dies after being hit by train near Welwyn Garden City railway station
- 4 Nearly a million trees planted alongside A14 die and need replacing
- 5 Publish and be damned: 'farmgate' report goes to the vote
- 6 Pupils become journalists for class topic
- 7 Grandmother who got on a motorcycle aged 105 passes away
- 8 Person hit by train between London Kings Cross and Stevenage
- 9 COVID deaths fall by 50% in Herts hospitals
- 10 Pupils to return to school as lockdown restrictions ease
Worse was to come for Steeple not long after when their defence were unable to clear a long free kick and the ball fell to a Harston striker who finished confidently.
In Steeple's search for an equaliser Prothero put a couple of headers wide and Chapman went close with a decent effort, but Harston held on for a 3-2 win.
Team: Tidey, Richardson, Donald, Jarman, Watters (Collins), Berry, D Holt, Prothero, Morris (Lees), Chapman, B Holt