Steeple lose out
Fordham Res 3 Steeple Morden 2 STEEPLE lost out in a five goal thriller despite dominating the majority of this tough cup-tie. The home side were pushed back by the confident start by Steeple with Ben Holt a constant source of danger. He drove one effo
Fordham Res 3
Steeple Morden 2
STEEPLE lost out in a five goal thriller despite dominating the majority of this tough cup-tie.
The home side were pushed back by the confident start by Steeple with Ben Holt a constant source of danger.
You may also want to watch:
He drove one effort just wide following a good lay-off from new strike partner Roy Dunsford before opening the scoring with a clever finish from a long Andy Smith throw-in.
Only a goal-line clearance prevented Holt from doubling the lead after a skilful run and pull back by Dunsford.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 4 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 5 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 6 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 7 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 8 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 9 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 10 Strictly Come Dancing champion to Dial M for Murder in Cambridge
Steeple were bossing the midfield battle and reached half-time with a deserved lead thanks to a fine save by the solid Brian Sarll following a rare breakaway by the home side in the dying minutes.
Within five minutes of the restart Fordham capitalised on a defensive lapse to equalise. Steeple responded instantly with Ben Morris and the dynamic Charlie Prothero combining well with another break down the right flank which resulted in Roy Dunsford finishing comfortably from close range.
A third for Steeple seemed only a matter of time as they continued to pressure the home side but more poor defending presented Fordham a one on one opportunity which was gratefully converted.
Worse was to come when Fordham took the lead for the first time after they responded quickest to a deflected pass and hammered the ball home.
In the closing stages, Steeple spawned two good chances both created by Dunsford. The normally reliable Ben Holt lifted his effort over the bar and Karl Parr was denied by the keepers outstretched leg.
When the final whistle blew, Steeple were left to rue their defensive errors and failure to convert well created opportunities.
Steeple: B Sarll, B Morris, A Smith, P Hutley, J Watters, M Holt (B Dix), J Murphy (K Parr), C Prothero , N Carlton , R Dunsford , B Holt