Steeple hit back in fine style
Steeple Morden Res 3 Haslingfield 0 STEEPLE Morden made up for their poor performance when these two sides met two weeks earlier – with an assured and well deserved three points. And despite a bright start from the hosts, they were fortunate not to fall b
Steeple Morden Res 3
STEEPLE Morden made up for their poor performance when these two sides met two weeks earlier - with an assured and well deserved three points.
And despite a bright start from the hosts, they were fortunate not to fall behind when keeper Tim Tidey pulled off a brilliant penalty save after 20 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
Crucially Steeple hit back, and were rewarded with a vital opener just before half time with youngster Sam Gilley combining with Jason Clark to fire in his first for the club, lashing the ball home from 20 yards.
Minutes into the second half Haslingfield were reduced to 10 men when a visiting striker clashed with Tidey with the red card being shown for violent conduct.
- 1 Melbourn Post Office reopens in new location
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Drug dealer caught after being pulled over for using phone on A505
- 4 No Cambridge fireworks display on Midsummer Common this year for Bonfire Night
- 5 Litlington's Josh ploughs into top spot with competition win
- 6 History Society unveils new town heritage board
- 7 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 8 What is the government's Plan B for Covid this winter?
- 9 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 10 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
Then midway through the half a Steeple long throw was flicked on by Paul Geraghty and volleyed home by imperious centre-back Lawrence Harrison.
The game was wrapped up late on, with a similar set piece, only this time Darren Jarman was on hand to drive the ball into the corner of the Haslingfield net.
Steeple Morden Reserves: Tidey; Smith, Little, Harrison, Jarman; Morris, Clark, Carlton, Geraghty; Bird (Thorp), Gilley.