Steeple hit back in fine style
Steeple Morden Res 3 Haslingfield 0 STEEPLE Morden made up for their poor performance when these two sides met two weeks earlier – with an assured and well deserved three points. And despite a bright start from the hosts, they were fortunate not to fall b
Steeple Morden Res 3
STEEPLE Morden made up for their poor performance when these two sides met two weeks earlier - with an assured and well deserved three points.
And despite a bright start from the hosts, they were fortunate not to fall behind when keeper Tim Tidey pulled off a brilliant penalty save after 20 minutes.
Crucially Steeple hit back, and were rewarded with a vital opener just before half time with youngster Sam Gilley combining with Jason Clark to fire in his first for the club, lashing the ball home from 20 yards.
Minutes into the second half Haslingfield were reduced to 10 men when a visiting striker clashed with Tidey with the red card being shown for violent conduct.
- 1 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 2 US star George Clooney spotted directing new film in Hertfordshire
- 3 Strictly for Charity fundraising event gets people's toes tapping for Home-Start
- 4 Family of patient who died from drug overdose speak out after inquest
- 5 MP visits Royston lab to learn about local success story
- 6 Platinum Jubilee: Hertfordshire's royal visits in pictures
- 7 Royston Photographic Society announces latest competition winners
- 8 Extra trains to Tottenham Hotspur Stadium for Betfred Challenge Cup final
- 9 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
Then midway through the half a Steeple long throw was flicked on by Paul Geraghty and volleyed home by imperious centre-back Lawrence Harrison.
The game was wrapped up late on, with a similar set piece, only this time Darren Jarman was on hand to drive the ball into the corner of the Haslingfield net.
Steeple Morden Reserves: Tidey; Smith, Little, Harrison, Jarman; Morris, Clark, Carlton, Geraghty; Bird (Thorp), Gilley.