Steeple hit back in fine style
Steeple Morden Res 3 Haslingfield 0 STEEPLE Morden made up for their poor performance when these two sides met two weeks earlier – with an assured and well deserved three points. And despite a bright start from the hosts, they were fortunate not to fall b
Steeple Morden Res 3
STEEPLE Morden made up for their poor performance when these two sides met two weeks earlier - with an assured and well deserved three points.
And despite a bright start from the hosts, they were fortunate not to fall behind when keeper Tim Tidey pulled off a brilliant penalty save after 20 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
Crucially Steeple hit back, and were rewarded with a vital opener just before half time with youngster Sam Gilley combining with Jason Clark to fire in his first for the club, lashing the ball home from 20 yards.
Minutes into the second half Haslingfield were reduced to 10 men when a visiting striker clashed with Tidey with the red card being shown for violent conduct.
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 4 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 5 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 6 Labour organiser criticises Labour mayor for hiring a Tory as deputy
- 7 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 8 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 9 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 10 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
Then midway through the half a Steeple long throw was flicked on by Paul Geraghty and volleyed home by imperious centre-back Lawrence Harrison.
The game was wrapped up late on, with a similar set piece, only this time Darren Jarman was on hand to drive the ball into the corner of the Haslingfield net.
Steeple Morden Reserves: Tidey; Smith, Little, Harrison, Jarman; Morris, Clark, Carlton, Geraghty; Bird (Thorp), Gilley.