Spot on ! Christie penalty nets Buntingford a draw

Buntingford Town 2 Knebworth 2 DAVE RYAN reports from THE BURY GARY Christie s last gasp penalty kept Town s unbeaten record intact, but boss Paul Attfield was far from happy with his side s performance: We definitely deserved something from the game b

Buntingford Town 2

Knebworth 2

DAVE RYAN reports from THE BURY

GARY Christie's last gasp penalty kept Town's unbeaten record intact, but boss Paul Attfield was far from happy with his side's performance:

"We definitely deserved something from the game but we certainly played below the standard we have done so far this season" he said

"We should have had the game won by the time they equalised but the overall quality of our final ball, cross or finish, was well below par in this game.

Most Read

"I thought Knebworth really worked hard collectively which we didn't look comfortable with at stages, and they also deserved something from the game".

Substitute Christie converted from the spot with the last kick of the game after he had been needlessly tripped in the box.

After an even start, Town took control, with Mark Smith and Jan Stephens both going close, while Matt Turl saw a 30-yard effort go just over.

The home side took the lead when Dean Chaffey's long throw from the left somehow managed to elude the home defence, leaving Ashley Townsend with a simple tap-in at the far post.

The lead could have been doubled seven minutes later when a perfect through-ball from Turll found Tom Malins but his shot just cleared the bar with the keeper beaten.

That miss proved costly as Knebworth scored twice in five minutes to go into half-time with the lead.

A long ball saw Triggs outpace the home defence, and although his effort was blocked by keeper Damian Williamson, the ball rebounded off David Cain and into the net.

Worse was to follow when, just before the break, Triggs was left unmarked to meet a cross from the left, and his half-volley gave Williamson no chance.

The hosts started the second half well, with Townsend and Stephens both sending looping shots over the bar, but Knebworth were content to defend in numbers.

Attfield introduced Christie and Will Turl into the action in place of Cain and the limping Townsend, and captain Duncan Easley made his first league appearance of the season with 20 minutes to go.

Matt Turl saw a shot blocked as Town threw everything forward, but they looked to be heading for a first league defeat until Christie was fouled, and his well struck kick gave the home side a deserved point.

Buntingford: D Williamson, L Endacott, D Chaffey, D Cain (W Turl), J Babbage, M Turl, M Smith, J Stephens (D Easley), A Townsend (G Christie), L Robins. Unused sub: C Simmonds.

Buntingford Town Youth 4 Bishop's Stortford Northolt 2

WITH the first Southern Counties Youth League fixture being postponed by St Ives Town, Buningford played a hastily arranged game against Crow Youth League opponents.

The game was a worthwhile exercise for Town's youth team but with players still absent on holiday commitments the full force of the squad may not be yet known for a little while.

The first half was a little erratic but Town had plenty of chances with Lewis Endacott hitting a post and having a close range shot cleared off the line and Charlie Mortimer narrowly missed the target on three occasions.

Town took the lead on 24 minutes when Luke Robins converted a penalty after being felled by the visiting keeper but Northolt had a penalty of their own on 40 minutes to level the scores before half time.

Northolt battled well in the second half but Town's superior fitness levels shone through and they dominated the entire half.

Luke Robins set up Charlie Mortimer to regain Town's lead and then Tom Montague headed home a Danny Apostolos corner.

A long range effort bounced over Robbie Cook's head to reduce the deficit late on but a fine run and finish from forward Sam Chester completed the scoring soon after for Town.