Spot on! Bedwell beat champs to lift trophy
Bedwell Rangers Reds 2 (M Billingham, S Harwood) Hitchin Town 2 (S Orphanou 2) (aet, Bedwell won on pens) BEDWELL overturned the form-book to win the first Crow League Cup final of the season, at Garden Walk last Wednesday. The Stevenage side had suffer
Bedwell Rangers Reds 2
(M Billingham, S Harwood)
Hitchin Town 2
(S Orphanou 2)
You may also want to watch:
(aet, Bedwell won on pens)
BEDWELL overturned the form-book to win the first Crow League Cup final of the season, at Garden Walk last Wednesday.
- 1 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 5 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 6 Say this secret phrase and get a free pint for the first game of the Euros
- 7 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 8 Sign up to village duathlon and raise funds for Home-Start
- 9 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 10 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
The Stevenage side had suffered 6-1 defeats in both of their league games against league champions Hitchin, but produced a fine performance to clinch the Stephen Barrowclough Memorial Trophy.
Boss Paul Sutherill seemed a dazed man after his side's victory, and admitted they had never expected to win:
"We were just happy to be here, and were aiming not be embarrassed It's fantastic to win it" he said.
Hitchin took the lead on the half hour mark as Mark Dunthorne dropped a cross, and Scott Orphanou was quick to react and score from close range.
It took only two minutes for Bedwell to level the score when Craig Sutherill's long ball found Mike Billingham, and as the ball bounced he lobbed Chris Wetherall for a good finish.
Three minutes before the break, Sam Harwood put Bedwell 2-1 up with a superb effort when he picked the ball up on the right and hit a quality 25-yard effort into the left hand side of the net.
Once again, the lead was short-lived as Hitchin drew level just before the break when Orphanou was on hand to volley home for his second of the game.
The second half saw both side working hard, but with neither able to take control, the game went to extra time where Bedwell were forced to defend in depth before the game was decided by a penalty shoot-out.
Dunthorne made a good save from Hitchin's second kick, and Bedwell scored through Sam Harwood, John Chitondo, Richard Falder and Liam Castle.
It was left to Luke Elmes as the last taker to coolly slot home to spark the Bedwell celebrations at a shock win.
Bedwell Rangers Reds: Mark Dunthorne, David Bailes, Sam Harwood, Michael Billingham, Tim Chesworth, Liam Castle, Danny Court, Matt Henning, John Chitondo, Warren Ratcliffe, Richard Falder, Phil Stevens, Luke Elmes, Francis Butler.
Hitchin Town: Chris Wetherall, Darren Wells, Luke Deards, Ricky Bruniges, Adam Presland, Charlie Cook, Ben Moulding, Ashley Daniels, Anthony James, Glenn Abbiss, Scott Orphanou, Georgie Nash, Jackmitchell, Thomas Wilshere, Tom Montague, Damiel Simm, Conor de Lacy.