- Royston Runners won the Herts Phoenix Midweek League with a fine set of results in the final race at Welwyn Garden City. A five-mile, two lap course saw a tactically run first lap, but the pace picked up for the final lap with Royston men putting in ano
- Royston Runners won the Herts Phoenix Midweek League with a fine set of results in the final race at Welwyn Garden City.
A five-mile, two lap course saw a tactically run first lap, but the pace picked up for the final lap with Royston men putting in another great performance and finishing third overall to secure top spot in the overall rankings.
First home was Ian Murray 26:57 in fifth place with Richard Lowden setting a PB 28:20 and Karl Cable 29:10 finally returning to form.
Despite losing Leesa Duff before the race and Nikki Tyrrell after the first lap, Royston Runners ladies' team secured third place in the race and in the overall standings.
You may also want to watch:
The first Royston lady home was Kate Nankivell 35:53 but there was a closely fought race between several Royston ladies which was won by Natalie Lowden 39:58, followed closely by Libby Mitchell 40:07, Natalie Weston 40:11, Lynne Hayes 40:17 and Julie Kirwan 40:37.
The vets men also won the team event overall and the vet ladies finished third.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 5 Broadband speeds 15x faster than average set to arrive thanks to major investment
- 6 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 7 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 8 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 9 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 10 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- The third match in the Royston and District Angling Club Evening League will take place at Thriplow Reservoir on Friday.
The draw will be at 5.30pm and fishing will be from 6-9pm. The usual optional bank pool will be held at £5 per entrant.
Anyone wishing to take part should phone Mick Rivers on 01223 870189.
- More than 50 youngsters are due to compete in Buntingford Swimming Club's second children's triathlon on Sunday.
Racers from Buntingford, Royston and a number of other Hertfordshire swimming clubs are scheduled to take part in the competition, which consists of swimming, cycling and running.
Organiser David Carr, a coach at Buntingford, hopes that the triathlon will become an annual event. Around 40 youngsters took part last year.
A number of swimmers from Buntingford have picked up prizes at multi-discipline events this summer.
- Pre-season training at Royston Rugby club is now under way on Tuesday evenings, starting at Tuesday 7pm, on Therfield Heath, Baldock Road, under the guidance of Roy Phillips, a former Northampton academy coach.
The club will be running two senior and one vets side this season, with the first team competing in the Herts/Middlesex Three North League
In this division Royston will face Wasps Amateurs, Cuffley, Southgate, Hackney, Borehamwood and Hatfield.
Further details can be obtained from first XV captain Steve Clay on 07977 449648 or second XV captain Dave Mason on 07870 586624.